UK Pension Entitlement

pensionwise

Hi there folks,

just looking for a bit of advice....i have been living and paying my state pension contribution in Republic of Ireland since 1984, i also have 7 years paid contributions to UK State Pension, they have sent me info informing me that i do not have enough years to qualify for UK State Pension, but that i could qualify as a result of me paying contributions from the Republic.....just wondering if any of you experts out there, would think it worth my while to pay the extra 3 years contributions or should i just let my Irish contributions qualify me in time and take the pension based on the 7 years i have paid, they are looking for roughly £3000 in total to be paid by 2023, which is when i would be retiring....any info would be really helpful and i would be very grateful of any advice....

The New State pension in UK is now about £155 per week, based on 35 full years NI contributions.
You will not qualify with less than 10 years contributions.
So if you pay £3000, you will be entitled to 155x 10/35x52 per year = £2303. It's a bargain.

Is 2023 the year you can retire here, or in the UK? Would you get the UK pension earlier than the Irish one?

If you you qualify for the full Irish Contributory pension, I don't think you will get any extra for the 7 UK years.
But if you bring your UK NI payments up to qualify for a UK pension, you can receive both UK and Irish pensions.

I would certainly pay. In fact I would be checking to see if I could pay for more than 3 years contributions.
I know you are not allowed to pay voluntary contributions into two EU systems at the same time, but if you are working here, the Irish contribution you are making is not voluntary.

The slight risk is that if you die before you start to draw the UK pension, you will get nothing.

Hi Gervan,

thanks a lot for that very informative information, i plan to ring the Pension Dept tomorrow to have a few things clarified...

Gervan ,

If pensionwise is self-employed here, he can, I believe make further uk contributions for basic pension..
Each year he contributes above the minimum of 10 years contribution gives £ 4.44 per week.

Pensionwise .
There was a time limit on updating (overdue) uk pension contributions. Your actual UK record , (assume) you hold it , may allow you @ reduced rates to go above the 10.As per Gervan , if you can add more = go for it.
Remember each year adds £231 to your pension .

Pensionwise,
I had a further thought. If you are married, you may be able to get an increase in the UK pension, as regards your spouse. That would increase your "gain".
An increase in your pension for a dependant spouse in UK is no longer an option. But when you apply for your "New" UK State pension, if your spouse is receiving a pension less than £71.50 per week, she/he would be given an increase.

And while you were working those 7 years in the UK did you (or your employer) make any payments into a company pension. Any extra income that may be available in retirement should be followed up. It can make a real difference.

Back