Tyres with well know Brand V's unknown brands

An important thing to note is that improved life results in reduced grip (generally speaking) so the ones that wear for 20,000 miles will offer far less grip than those which wear in half the distance.

btw, I've often heard Wanli and Nangkang (and others) referred to by the somewhat offputting nickname of 'ditchfinders'.

Tyres are the only piece of the puzzle that counts when everything else remains the same. Don't try to save a hundred euro on them. Buy the best you can afford and they may cause you to avoid a crash.

I got cheap no name tyres last time, because I needed them for a NCT and the place had nothing in a brand I knew. Well they are the worse I ever had. Look fine but woeful dry or wet.

Related story in today's times:
[broken link removed]
One of these brands, Linglong, performed particularly poorly in a wet braking test at 80km/h.
Where the premium brand tyre had come to a full stop, the car with Linglong tyres was still travelling at over 40km/h.
Though I'm guessing the main brand tyres had some interest in putting the report together...

Going by my own experience I'd have to say I wouldn't buy a budget tyre again. Some people wouldn't notice the different, but for me it was night and day.

Back