Two main drivers but separate policies?

Oonaghpm

My husband is the main driver of our car. Our son (21) is a learner driver and a named driver on the insurance. Our daughter (19) has just passed her test. Our insurer is charging €1900 to insure her as a named driver. She can get cheaper insurance from another insurer, so my question is, can she take out her own separate, independent car insurance?

She can get cheaper insurance from another insurer, so my question is, can she take out her own separate, independent car insurance?

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

Why do you think she would not be able to take out her own insurance?

I think the question is whether the daughter can take out insurance in her own name on the family car, which is already insured by the father of the family.

I don't think you can have two seterate policies for the same car.

Try getting an online quote from Aviva or Zurich. I have had car policies with both of these with myself + wife and two daughters on them at a cost of less than 600 euro.
I was with AXA before and they wanted to charge a few thousand for the four of us.
5 years claim free and no penalty points.

And to add, you can change mid policy and get a refund for the unused period.
From memory it's a fixed formula and the penalty is not substantial.

Our insurer is charging €1900 to insure her as a named driver.
Ouch! I would look for quote elsewhere. By comparison, I paid €400 to add my 20 year old daughter, who'd just passed her test, to my FBD policy (for remaining 10 months).

Our daughter (19) has just passed her test. Our insurer is charging €1900 to insure her as a named driver.

As a matter of interest where was she insured when a learner driver and how much did the insurance cost then? €1,900 for a named driver sounds outrageous especially one with a full licence.

Doesn't the policy have to be taken out in the name of the primary driver of the car? I don't believe it's possible to have two separate policies on the same car as you run into issues of conflict of insurable interest between the two policies.

Doesn't the policy have to be taken out in the name of the primary driver of the car? I don't believe it's possible to have two separate policies on the same car as you run into issues of conflict of insurable interest between the two policies.

The wording years ago was 'must be the registered owner of the car' but not sure if that still applies these days.

The wording years ago was 'must be the registered owner of the car' but not sure if that still applies these days.
No. There was a good bit of coverage in the media a few years ago in relation to the crack-down on 'fronting' where the insurers made it clear the policy must be in the name of the 'main driver'. From Citizen's Information:

However, you must not engage in the practice of ‘fronting’; that is, where the main driver of a vehicle (typically a son or daughter) declares a more experienced driver as the main driver (usually a parent) to reduce the cost of their insurance premium. Fronting is illegal and can result in the cancellation of your motor insurance policy or a fraud conviction.

Back