TV3

R

roundstone

Having glanced through the weekly schedule for TV3 one has got to ask do we really need this clone of ITV? its programming generally seems to revolve around Cornation St and the Champions' League. Where are all the home produced programmes we were promised? what benefit is this station to our little island?

Have to Agree

At least ITV has a decent news service.TV3 News seems to concentrate on some blonde bimbo with a huge dress allowance surrounded inevitably by a fat guy and a small guy. As for the weather man well.......
It appears to be the The Daily Mirror of Irish society - much like the barber's cat.
We won't even mention the Ad breaks - even longer than RTE's

ads

Agreed on the ads. Thank god the simpsons arent on tv3. They'd (tv3) make an episode last an hour.

Re: ads

The only good thing on TV3 besides Chamions League and the occasional film is P180 on their teletext which shows what's coming now and next. Otherwise a complete waste of time.

Murt

They don't give their audience much credence either, they showed the dubbed version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon last night. Alot of people I talk to hate the dubbed version, as it reminds them of Monkey Magic!

It is unfortunate that you can count on one hand the amount of home produced programmes on theis channel.

It is unfortunate that you can count on one hand the amount of home produced programmes on theis channel

..yep I guess that RTE ain't that bad after all... :rolleyes

How can any of you complain.
This is a free service. You pay nowt.
If you don't like it, don't watch it.

As for it being a rip-off of ITV. Some of us (only with Sky) don't have ITV, so it is excellent.

Two of the best shows on TV are also on this channel: The Shield & SVU.

Also, they don't always show the same matches as ITV, so you can see different matches.

I am sure there are other programmes on which are excellent (Arrested Development?)

Have a read of this article in the [broken link removed] for more on TV3s buying policy. Its from mid last year but gives a small insight into the problems they face.

they showed the dubbed version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon last night. Alot of people I talk to hate the dubbed version

yes, im sure the original mandarin or whatever version would have pulled in far more viewers.

yes, im sure the original mandarin or whatever version would have pulled in far more viewers.

I know I would have preferred the subtitled version. Hadn't seen it before, and the dubbing really annoyed me, didn't end up watching it all. Joe Ninety oriental style just didn't grab me.

This is a free service. You pay nowt
not really you see RTE now has to compete for "buy in" material be it football soaps or film rights,so the cost of the material goes up accordingly. The old story no free lunch!!!
Why did TV3 axe one of their better programmes Agenda and replace it with an embarrassment? I thought David McWilliams was an excellent performer

The point about pushing RTEs prices higher is an interesting one.

I have always thought that RTE should not compete at all with TV3. It should be RTEs agenda to provide as much quality television to the Irish public as possible.

If they provide it by way of not competing with TV3 (and allowing TV3 to show it), then great.
True, there are programmes they would want to get because they can get a lot of advertising money for them, but anything else should be left to TV3.

Re: Agenda

"Why did TV3 axe one of their better programmes Agenda and replace it with an embarrassment? I thought David McWilliams was an excellent performer".

'cos no-one was watching it - at least not enough to make it sustainable. The TV3 top dog (Rick Hetherington (?)) was on Media Matters on Newstalk106 and that was the reason offered.

I watched it most weeks and thought it (generally) to be a good programme, but seemingly I'm in in a minority.

Re: Agenda

I liked agenda as well. Didn't think much of him on radio toward the end though.

Back