TV licencepayers' money and Kevin Bakhurst

I agree @trajan , though I take issue with the notion that we are in anything like a national housing disaster.

That's the sort of populist emotive nonsense that RTE trots out and one of the reasons I have an issue with their news and current affairs programming.

Unfortunately, RTE seems to be toeing the line of successive governments since 2015 in deploying the phrase "supply issues in the housing sector" rather than giving voice to an acute social and economically inflationary problem in housing. There's a refusal on RTE editors' part to allow any serious drilling-down into the nature of the "supply issues", their root causes and the means of their continuance.

Unfortunately, RTE seems to be toeing the line of successive governments since 2015 in deploying the phrase "supply issues in the housing sector" rather than giving voice to an acute social and economically inflationary problem in housing. There's a refusal on RTE editors' part to allow any serious drilling-down into the nature of the "supply issues", their root causes and the means of their continuance.
Yep, or to put it into an international context which would show that we're actually not doing too badly and the housing inflation we are seeing is an issue in most of the developed world, and that it's been caused by bailing ourselves out be printing money.

It is hard to argue with you on home improvement programmes @trajan. They are downright annoying and irrelevant to the majority.

I’ll take your word on Ireland's Fittest Families; I’ve never watched that programme.

It looks like Tubbs and RTE could end up in a legal battle. I hope Tubbs wins. He was treated appallingly.

Nah.

Neither party has the ~ €100,000 for such a High Court action. Too big a financial risk for Tubs right now. And RTE can't be seen to be wasting more money on a vanity suit with Tubridy - regardless that it's Tubs that began the suit.

It'll be settled. Tubs keeps the Renault money and RTE won't owe him any more for his summary dismissal. Of course the latter details will be confidential between the parties and no statement other than the fact that the matter has been resolved will be told to the Court or anyone else.

Nah.

Neither party has the ~ €100,000 for such a High Court action. Too big a financial risk for Tubs right now. And RTE can't be seen to be wasting more money on a vanity suit with Tubridy - regardless that it's Tubs that began the suit.

It'll be settled. Tubs keeps the Renault money and RTE won't owe him any more for his summary dismissal. Of course the latter details will be confidential between the parties and no statement other than the fact that the matter has been resolved will be told to the Court or anyone else.
It's kind of a dangerous precedent that an employer can sack someone because of the specifics of contractual terms that the employer insisted on.

I know but this whole saga is a national disgrace. So neither party can have much stomach for a big court case. It wouldn't suit Tubridy's career progression in UK either. The new job won't give him the head-space let alone the scope for distraction of his new audience.

Back