Tumble dryer

Sarah

I have read the previous threads on this but wondering can anyone help me out. Te house we bought has a space beside the washing machine for a dryer but no windows in the room. It is however in the utility room and the back door is facing the washing machine. I badly need to get a dryer and was wondering if anyone could tell me do they really eat up your electricity? Would i have to get a condencer or could i just leave the back door open when im drying clothes in a vented dryer? The only condencer dryers ive seen (DID& Power city) are ones with the door that opens to the top and i need to place the dryer under a counter. Hope this makes sence and if anyone could help as we are going to be looking this week.

Thanks a million

Sarah x

Hi Sarah,

Tumble dryers really do send your ESB bill through the roof. You might consider a gas one - they can work out about 35% cheaper. You should find a front opening condenser in Currys - also v.good value. You could use a vented one with the pipe out the window or door if you have to. Can be a bit chilly in the winter though, which is when you'll be using it most!

Thanks for that berlin, I was told that if you air the clothes before putting them in the dryer it takes up less electricity as the clothes are mainly just damp not soaking wet! Not sure to get one now as dont want an added expence to an already expensive electricity bill! Our rad are too narrow to put much clothes down and on the clothes horse they seem to take days to dry even if their placed right beside the rads!! In a pickle now!

Yea, putting them in straight from the washing machine to dryer is costly. Also shrinks bloody clothes in my opinion!

Hey Sarah,

We had a brief spell where we questioned the need for tumble dryer and whether it justifies the expense. We went ahead and bought one and now find it indispensable. Unless you have someone who is pretty much based in the house the whole time its a major hassle to dry clothes without the dryer. If someone is there the whole time they have plenty of time to organise it. We both work, come home, whack on a wash, stick it on a clothes horse for a while then bung em in the dryer and they're ready for the next day.

Another thing to think of is if you have spent loadsamoney making your place look nice or buying a nice place do you really want to have clothes hanging around on rads and/or rails for the whole winter?

Try searching online for a front loading condensing dryer. Go into DID and if they don't stock it they will be able to quote you on it. I got DID to sell me a powerpoint disher even though they don't really sell them (as they're 'not up to our standard') - just told them it was a short-term light use solution and I'd be going back down to Powercity if they couldn't get it for me. Always shop around and get one of these places to undercut the other.

Im in the same position, we both work and our back garden is literly a swamp so trying to put clothes on the washing line without sinking up to your knees in the mud is a hassle and the rads are very narrow to put clothes down! I suppose if you just use it moderatly in the winter and there are only two of us, it may cut down on the cost. Thanks for all the replies, ill have to make up my mind soon as were shopping for a new hoover and dishwasher as well this week!

just a tip for the hoover - i got a dyson from argos for €150. It was the basic version DC05 but it is unreal - its been through the ringer with major heavy duty work due to our renovations but it has emerged unscathed. I have used it to suck up bits of plaster, bonding, tile adhesive, and massive amounts of dust - give it a wash after and its back to square one. I got this deal by ringing argos to see if they had any DC05s left (theyre no longer in the new catalogue but they had a few left during the transition) so it might be worth a try, but have to say on this evidence it would still be a bargain for us at €250 as it is proving invaluable.

Thanks for the tip on the hoover. I have an electrolux one and i swear there must be a little man in there putting dirt into the thing coz it certainly isent picking anything up but you can see the dirt swirling around in it!Even though the suction feels fine i have actually put fluff onto the carpet and ran over it about 20 times with the hoover and it stays on the carpet. Driving me nuts sweeting carpets all the time. Defo going for a more expensive model this time!!

i have a hotpoint condenser dryer with front door . with 3 young children at home, this is a necessity for us. use it 3X a week ( 2 loads per wash at 90 mins per load so approx 520 mins/week). esb bill average of EUR170.

Thanks Suleen,ill check that out now so. Last thing i want is another dodgy hoover even if i do buy a top brand name!!

don't have time to read that other thread but I will say that if my experience is the exception to the rule then its a fairly exceptional exception!

I have no ties to Dyson or Argos and never thought I'd get excited about a vacuum cleaner, but after months of hassle cleaning up during our renovations we got the dyson and it has made a huge difference. and then when we got the carpets down they get dirty pretty quick from renovations, but this thing sucks so much up theyre back to life again. Just comparing how quickly it fills its bucket with the time taken to fill a normal hoover bag leaves me in no doubt it picks up more dirt and quicker.

Back