travelling In 4 days - no passport

geri

Hi,
My parents are going on holidays to Spain on Friday. They have just discovered that they cannot find their passports after spending the weekend, turning the place upside-down to find them. They rang the emergency number yesterday and were told that they should go into the passport in person to apply for emergency issue.
Firstly, can any-one tell me if they have to present themselves at the passport office, or if someone else can take all their documentation in and do it for them. They live in Sligo, and don't really want to make the journey, when I could do it for them as I live in Dublin.
Secondly, if I go in to do it for them, will I get the passport there and then, or will I have to go back maybe the next day to collect it,
They are trying to get this info themselves by phone but are holding for an officer.........
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Geri.

geri said:
Hi,
My parents are going on holidays to Spain on Friday. They have just discovered that they cannot find their passports after spending the weekend, turning the place upside-down to find them. They rang the emergency number yesterday and were told that they should go into the passport in person to apply for emergency issue.
Firstly, can any-one tell me if they have to present themselves at the passport office, or if someone else can take all their documentation in and do it for them. They live in Sligo, and don't really want to make the journey, when I could do it for them as I live in Dublin.
Secondly, if I go in to do it for them, will I get the passport there and then, or will I have to go back maybe the next day to collect it,
They are trying to get this info themselves by phone but are holding for an officer.........
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Geri.

I'm guessing here, but I would imagine if they get a Garda to notary the passport application form - which you can get from a Garda Siochána station - then you might be able to bring the form and apply on their behalf?

If you can get no joy from the passport office, you could check with the guards?

PS When looking for the passports, have they checked the car (glovebox, side panels, under the seat, etc.), and all bags that they travelled with when last using the passport?

If they have lost their previous passports they will have to get a form stamped by Gardai stating this.

I think you should be able to get the passport from them. You will need to present all relevant documentation including proof of travel to the passport office. In order to collect the passports you will need the collection receipt plus a letter of consent from your parents advising that you can collect the passport.

Passports will normally be issued the next day - there is an extra fee of €50 (I think) on top of the usual fee per passport.

I was in the same situation a couple of months ago - good luck - it was very stressful.

Mind you, the [broken link removed] does say you can apply:

By Post
By Passport Express in the Post Office
or
In Person

It doesn't say "on someone else's behalf"

Hi,

Thanks all for replying - heres the update. They are now on their way to Dublin as they were informed by the passport office that they had to apply for emergency passports in person. So not only has my dad lost a days work, I will have to take time off tomorrrow to go and collect them. Ah well, we should look on the bright side, they could have done what most of us do, and left it to the night before to get the passports out...............

Thanks again
Geri.

geri said:
Hi,

Thanks all for replying - heres the update. They are now on their way to Dublin as they were informed by the passport office that they had to apply for emergency passports in person. So not only has my dad lost a days work, I will have to take time off tomorrrow to go and collect them. Ah well, we should look on the bright side, they could have done what most of us do, and left it to the night before to get the passports out...............

Thanks again
Geri.

make sure they bring the tickets for the flights, afaik you will need them to get a passport at short notice....

Back