Travel Insurance refuses refund

stefanop

Hello, me and my wife have a travel insurance and booked a trip to Brussels back in February but Aer Lingus canceled the flight last Friday 1 April, the day we were supposed to flight out since the airport was still closed. Aer Lingus will refund the cost of the flight, however the hotel room is not refundable and I had paid 178 € for the room for two nights. The booking for the hotel was on my name only, for a double room and the cost was deducted from my credit card. The travel insurance got back to me saying that I cannot get a refund for the hotel because there is an excess of 90 € per person travelling. Is this correct even if I booked the hotel on my name only, separately from the flight and the cost was deducted from my credit card only, and my wife doesn't appear on the hotel booking?

Thanks for any feedback.
Seamus

What do the insurance policy terms & conditions say?

They can refuse cover if their terms state this excise per person.

Can you claim off your credit card insurance? Many cards have built-in cover for broken goods within 30 days of purchase and other situations. Give them a ring or read the T&Cs

Card insurance generally only covers physical goods that become damaged or lost within 90 days of purchase.

Travel (or indeed any) insurance is best seen as a protection against significant or catastrophic loss. It is normally useless for relatively small losses. Even if you could claim back your €180, they'd tie you up in so many forms etc that you'd wonder in the end if it was worth your while.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I checked and indeed the policy states that there is an excess of 90€ per person. Since the room is booked on my name only but for two people they could then argue that they would refund only half of it anyway....I think I will give up pursuing this and will have to lose the 180 €. Thanks again

When did you cancel the hotel, normally even if it's the day of travel they only take the first night?

Thanks everybody for the replies. I checked and indeed the policy states that there is an excess of 90€ per person. Since the room is booked on my name only but for two people they could then argue that they would refund only half of it anyway....I think I will give up pursuing this and will have to lose the 180 €. Thanks again

Insurance covers everything when you buy it....very little when you claim!

Back