Travel insurance claim refused...

rob oyle

So the situation is - I booked my mother's travel arrangements (flying stateside on 29 June) and then arranged her annual travel insurance to begin on the previous day (28 June), just in case. Both arrangements were made about a month in advance, maybe even on the same day.

On 25 June, my mother broke her foot and was unable to travel. She cancelled the flight on the 26 June when she got back from the hospital and when she went to claim on her insurance, they said that since the timing of the cancellation fell outside the policy, they wouldn't be covering her. To me this makes no sense, since her policy was to cover her for travel from 28 June.

Anyone want to give me their considered views on this?

The policy wasn't in effect at the time of the event you're trying to claim for, they're right I'm afraid. You shouldn't time travel policies to the limit of when you travel.

Thanks Leo - does that mean if she didn't cancel, or just rang the airline on the day to cancel, she would have been able to make a successful claim?

The policy wasn't in effect at the time of the event you're trying to claim for, they're right I'm afraid. You shouldn't time travel policies to the limit of when you travel.

This may be correct legally, but it just goes to show what a confidence trick much of the insurance business is.

This man made a genuine attempt to purchase insurance. Now that there is a claim the insurance company is denying him.

Leo says "you shouldn't time travel policies". What does that mean, do you have to have a solicitor to buy travel insurance.

This may be correct legally, but it just goes to show what a confidence trick much of the insurance business is.

I'm no fan of the insurance industry, but that's a bit harsh. It's far from a confidence trick, it's clearly laid out in the terms and conditions of such policies. You get two weeks cooling-off period to review those T&Cs.

This man made a genuine attempt to purchase insurance. Now that there is a claim the insurance company is denying him.

Leo says "you shouldn't time travel policies". What does that mean, do you have to have a solicitor to buy travel insurance.

Like all insurance policies, you can only claim for events that occur during the insured period. If I took out a new motor policy and requested the start date to be in a months time, why should I expect the insurance company to pay out if I have an accident the next day?

For travel insurance, you need the policy to commence in advance of the day you fly out, so you are covered for events such as the above.

Last edited:
Like all insurance policies, you can only claim for events that occur during the insured period. If I took out a new motor policy and requested the start date to be in a months time, why should I expect the insurance company to pay out if I have an accident the next day?

Last edited:
For travel insurance, you need the policy to commence in advance of the day you fly out, so you are covered for events such as the above.

I'm hoping you've misunderstood my first message - my mother had not begun her travels that the insurance was for and isn't claiming for hospital care or anything... she was unable to travel on the 29th and the insurance started on the 28th. Because she had been advised that she was unable to travel before then, she cancelled the flight on the 26th. This is the only element of her travels that she is caliming for as her accommodation arrangements could be changed.

Gerard123, no, there is/was no withheld information on this - everything is upfront and above board.

Lads, everyone calm down. I think people need to be a little clearer in their questions in relation to dates.

If you go to purchase travel insurance and it asks you for the dates of travel and you state they are 28th June until 14th July and you have purchased this cover on the 1st June, then any insured event that occurs in the period leading up to travel from June 1st would be covered.

I don't agree with this. Your mothers broken foot is not the event you are claiming for so I don't see how the timing of your mothers broken foot is important as long as you booked the travel insurance before it happened.

The event is the incurrence of the travel costs on 29th June, on the basis that she cannot fly on 29th, which is after the start date (28th). The reason why she cannot travel is the broken foot which occurred after you booked the travel insurance.

But the mother's broken foot is the event that resulted in the cancellation. It is the cause that is the significant event as defined in the policy, and this occurred before the policy came into effect. In this case, the cancellation was even processed before the policy came into effect.

Suggest that you read the terms and conditions closely and reject the insurance company approach.

Many travel policies here are underwritten by ACE, their terms & conditions are available [broken link removed]. They advise when taking out a single trip policy, that the policy should start at the time of booking the trip, or the date you take out the policy, not just before you travel. Only events that result in the curtailment or cancellation of a trip that occur within the policy period are covered.

Lads, everyone calm down. I think people need to be a little clearer in their questions in relation to dates.

If you go to purchase travel insurance and it asks you for the dates of travel and you state they are 28th June until 14th July and you have purchased this cover on the 1st June, then any insured event that occurs in the period leading up to travel from June 1st would be covered.

Unfortunately in this case, the OP purchased an annual policy to come into effect on the day before she was due to fly out.

Sorry Leo I must skipped over that.

Then yes OP you are stuck. You chose the purchase date of the policy. You should always chose the date you book to travel as the start date

I'm no fan of the insurance industry, but that's a bit harsh. It's far from a confidence trick, it's clearly laid out in the terms and conditions of such policies. You get two weeks cooling-off period to review those T&Cs.

The previous posters argue the ins and outs of issue, but a consumer who buys an insurance product should have a reasonable expectation that they are covered, and not have to be on top of all these intricacies.

As for the terms and conditions, well I have never seen a set of T&Cs where anything was clear!

Sorry Leo I must skipped over that.

Then yes OP you are stuck. You chose the purchase date of the policy. You should always chose the date you book to travel as the start date

So its a case of, you didn't know that, tough luck! Is that reasonable?

So its a case of, you didn't know that, tough luck! Is that reasonable?

What different people consider reasonable can vary widely. When taking out insurance, you need to ask enough questions to ensure the cover you are getting is appropriate for your needs and also read the T&Cs to make sure you're happy with them. If you contact an insurer and request an annual policy, to commence on a date of your choosing, I think it's entirely reasonable that that is exactly what they will quote you for.

Its 100% reasonable. Its not entitled the commencement date of travel, it would be entitled the commencement date of cover. It the exact same as taking a motor policy out from 18th September but you bought the car today and decided to drive it, and crashed. no cover.

What different people consider reasonable can vary widely. When taking out insurance, you need to ask enough questions to ensure the cover you are getting is appropriate for your needs and also read the T&Cs to make sure you're happy with them.

But you don't know what your needs will be in advance, thats why you buy insurance. You can't ask questions about everything. You buy insurance for your holiday, you expect to covered.

Thanks all, and thanks for your support Cremeegg. We will be challenging this anyway, if there are any developments I'll put them up here.

But you don't know what your needs will be in advance, thats why you buy insurance. You can't ask questions about everything. You buy insurance for your holiday, you expect to covered.

but the problem here is that cover was bought from a specific date and the accident happened before the policy was in force.

Thanks all, and thanks for your support Cremeegg. We will be challenging this anyway, if there are any developments I'll put them up here.

I'm sorry but you are completely wasting your time as you havent a leg to stand on in terms of complaining. You incepted cover from a specific date and the incident occurred before cover existed. The fault is your own, rough as that seems.

Had your mother have broken her foot on the 28th of June this would have been covered.

Back