Travel Insurance Claim Issue - Refuse to Pay

Travel Insurance is a total rip-off and a licence to print money for the insurers.
I'd expect them to be pretty useless for the common stuff like missed connections, lost baggage etc.

OTOH, I don't have private health insurance here, and I wouldn't dream of going to the US without health and liability insurance. Those sort of claims would be big enough to justify fighting/suing the insurer if they made a fuss.

I have used travel insurance in the past when luggage went astray and I needed to buy clothes; swimwear and sun lotion. There was no quibble with them. Once reason and receipts were furnished, cheque came back fairly quickly.

I have used them as well when GP was needed for sick colleague and again, there was no difficulty in getting refund of the cost.

Am I just lucky??

I recently had to cancel a holiday due to medical reasons and was refunded the full amount (minus excess) with very little hassle. The claim was processed through ACE insurances.

I'll throw in my hat - I had to claim twice for travel insurance - Once for lost baggage/purchase of clothes etc, and once for a break-in in the apartment. Both times claimes were paid with no quibble or hassle.
My father-in-law had to claim for hospitalisation on hols - again no problems with payment by the insurers.
Both times were through VHI Multi-trip.
I renew every year without hesitation.

Had to claim twice, once due to illness and second time due to my mother being very ill in hospital. First time I claimed , it was outside the claim period but the staff were very understanding and paid up, second time I submitted the claim on time and VHI multitrip paid out once more without any hassle.

Moral of the story, travel insurance is perfectly fine so long as you actually read and understand the terms of the policy you're buying and don't just go for whatever is cheapest at the time.

Might be worthwhile doing up a Key Post on this topic with a list of tips of what to look out for, and perhaps even comparisons of the cover options and T&Cs of some of the insurers / underwriters and what they mean in simple terms.

Moral of the story, travel insurance is perfectly fine so long as you actually read and understand the terms of the policy you're buying and don't just go for whatever is cheapest at the time.

Might be worthwhile doing up a Key Post on this topic with a list of tips of what to look out for, and perhaps even comparisons of the cover options and T&Cs of some of the insurers / underwriters and what they mean in simple terms.
Yes a good idea as some travel insurers are much better than others....

Back