Travel delay/missed departure

Ash

Hi everyone.
Just got back from a trip to the US travelling all the way with American Airlines. On the return leg, the internal flight to Chicago was late / delayed departing by approx 75 minutes (weather I believe) so it arrived in Chicago too late meaning I missed the flight from Chicago to Dublin. I was rebooked on AA's next flight from Chicago to Dublin 24 hours later.
I had to get a hotel room, emergency toiletries and underwear and feed myself for 24 hours - none of which I'd budgeted for at the end of my trip.
I have an annual travel policy with getcover.com. When I spoke to them about making a claim for the 24+ hour delay/missed departure, I was advised that it is unlikely I will be covered in these circumstances as the INITIAL delay, i.e. on the internal flight, was not of over 12 hours.
Can this be the case? Surely the total delay of more than 24 hours on the one journey, if not one plane ride, is the point?
I notice getcover.com have seperate categories for >travel delay< and >missed departure<. Would it be better then to claim under the >missed departure< section or would that also fail?
Should I also make a claim from American Airlines? If so, how should I approach them? I was not at all happy with American Airlines to find myself in the position I did in Chicago.
Your help and advice would be gratefully received as always.

Travel insurance is a farce!

Last year, having been stuck between Dublin & Florida due to Hurricane Ivan, then to having to upsticks for a couple of days due to Hurricane Frances - I promptly made a couple of claims on my travel insurance (spent an extra hundred or so € due to 'CATASTROPHE' and 'MISSED DEPARTURES'). A couple of weeks later, I get a letter saying that I could submit under ONE claim category... then a couple of MONTHS later, after MANY phonecalls I eventually got re-imbursed. After the whole hoola-ba-loo, I finally got a claim for €100-and-something...after insurance 'excess' was subtracted, I only got something like €70! The insurance cost €35! I was disgusted at how much I got!

Goodluck in trying to sort it out. First thing you will need to do is get a letter from AA confirming that your flight WAS delayed, and WHY.

-soc

Back