Travel assistance

justasking2

My husband is in hospital in Dublin after major surgery. I only work part time and he is receiving sickness benefit. I was wondering if there is any help i could get with travel cost. I have spent almost 300.00 on train fares since the 11 June, as we live in Carlow.

Hi justasking2, i've had a look on citezens advise and the nearest thing i can find is this, not sure if you qualify (but your husband is on disability so maybe?) Best to contct the Welfare office as it suggests. Best of luck
Free Travel to Health Services
Social Welfare recipients or their dependants who incur ongoing travel expenses for treatment may be entitled to a Travel Supplement. In order to qualify you must satisfy the general conditions for receipt of Supplementary Welfare Allowance. You can apply to your local Community Welfare Officer in the Health Centre.

Hi pc7,

When you say citezens advise, do you actually mean the www.citizensinformation.ie website? Can you post the exact link where you found the above information - I cannot find it anywhere, but would be interested in seeing it.

CMCR.

hi sorry should have stuck it in first time, yup it was the citizens information site, I found it in a word doc from Google. Cant find the one I found earlier but found a pdf document with the details if that's any good.
[broken link removed]
I'll see if the link is cached on my work pc tomorrow but it seems to be the same document just in pdf.

You can also claim for your travel expenses on your tax form for 2007.
Really?!? :confused: I can't see anything on [broken link removed] that would cover the sort of expenses mentioned in this thread. Perhaps you can clarify under what rules you can claim tax relief and what form you are referring to?

You can also claim for your travel expenses on your tax form for 2007.

Travel expenses are only claimable on the MED 1 when treatment is only available outside Ireland, see [broken link removed] for more info.

Mea culpa, the relief is specifically for kidney patients, and guardians of children with cancer/long term disabilities.

Back