Transfer abroad - Tax implications on Mortgage Relief

T

The One

Firstly I apologise if I've put this post in the incorrect thread, but it appeared to be the most likely. Also, I hope the title is sufficient.

The situation is as follows:

I own an apartment in Dublin for the last 18 months, and have been claiming TRS for the duration.

I am now being given a fantastic opportunity with my job to move to Asia for 2 years, which I really want to accept.

My salary will not be paid in Ireland, it will be paid through the Asian office. However, my company will keep paying my relevant govenrnment contributions - PRSI etc.

My query is, am I still entitled to claim the TRS if my salary is not paid in Ireland, and I am not resident here?

Also - thanks to many posts on AAM, I am aware that I can't rent out the apartment without paying lots of stamp duty as I haven't owned the apartment for the requisite period. So I will be leaving it empty for the duration.

I'm not aware of any reason why you should not continue to claim TSR if the property is not rented out. However, have not looked into this and am not positiove about this.

You need to check if you can retain your owner occupier status. Simply not renting the property out while abroad is not sufficient. If you cannot retain your owner occupier status then you cannot claim owner occupier mortgage interest tax relief. There may also be other tax implications. You probably need professional advice.

Bear in mind that you may also need to inform your lender if you are not occupying the property as your main residence and you probably need alternative insurance cover if the property is to remain unoccupied at all or by the owner.

Thanks for highlighting some new areas for me to check out. I'll be sure to take some professional advice.

I appreciate it.

Back