Toyota Prius

ophelia

I am very tempted to buy one of these great-looking, zero-emission cars. I sat in one a few days ago and am taking a test drive next week. the only little drawback (in my opinion) is the automatic gearbox. Eventhough it looks a lot neater than other automatic gearboxes, in that the gear lever is right beside the steering wheel, I'm still a bit nervous about remembering to use only one foot etc. Any opinions or advice?

http://www.kpbj.com/images/automotive/2004Prius_1704_LG.jpg

As you probably saw on boards.ie they are far from 'zero-emissions' and in terms of pure economics there are better options around.

Looks are a personal thing but it wouldn't be my cup of tea, I suppose it makes a 'statement' about your intentions though.

I haven't driven the Prius auto but in general i find modern automatics far superior to drive than manuals. Take it for a proper test drive (a couple of hours) or preferably see if they'll let you have it for a day or so. You may be surprised how easy good autos are to drive.

I took one out for a drive from Linders in Chapelizod. The automatic gearbox is a dream once you get the hang of it (about 3 mins!). The bigger problem is remembering the car is actually 'on' when you are stopped at the lights - it doesn't make a sound!

We needed a bigger car though and didn't fancy paying the premium for making a statement. Next time we might.

Back