Too old to be hired at 50 ?

Let's stick with real reality here. The market place is flooded with unemployed people. The old reliables for jobs every year have dried up - Civil Service, Banks, ESB, Nursing, Telecom, An Post, etc. Employers are wary of expanding their business - Who would blame them? Emigration is the answer for many, but even this is drying up. The real outlook is bleak for somebody in his/her 20's let alone the 50's

The marketplace is flooded with people with low skills, no skills and the wrong skills.
We have marketing graduates and low level accountancy clerks and nurses and arts graduates and construction workers but not scientists or engineers or skilled IT people or the other skills that are required for the export sector.
We’ve taken on a number of people with construction trades qualifications with a view to retraining them but their attitude to quality is abysmal. It should hardly be surprising considering just how bad Irish building trades people are generally but when you see it up close it’s still shocking.

Is there a problem for people over 40, who have been laid off or taken a career break, getting back into the workforce?. If you think so - Why?

I don't know of any problems for people who have taken a Career Break and some years later decide to return to work. Usually, these people have saved on child minders, fuel costs etc. They were with their children when needed most. It is usually women who take the Career Breaks. Let's be honest, they find work easier than rearing children. So where are the problems?

Hi all, my name is Joey, I'm not here to brag or anything like that, I'm just as worried about my future as you are. I'm 51 next birthday and only started in my profession 2 years ago. I'm a fitness instructor and loving it. Although the money is rubbish that is all I can expect here in Ireland. We have a disgraceful government. Don't tell me there is no work out there for over 50s . Try thinking outside the box, I'm not trying to be a martyr or anything like that, I went through a terrible depression and I'm lucky to get through it, but I did by going back to college and doing what I love most, keeping fit... Never in a million years did I think I would be doing this 10 years ago. Think positive ladies and gents...Think positive..

There's something about Joey Howard's post that does not sit well with me . . . I'm caught for words, for once!

There's something about Joey Howard's post that does not sit well with me . . . I'm caught for words, for once!

I think fair paly to him, his story is very similar to my own and where I would disagree somewhat with his opinion on the government the rest of his post can only be read in a positive light.

Do the government have some specific policy targeted at keeping the salaries for fitness instructors low?

Do the government have some specific policy targeted at keeping the salaries for fitness instructors low?
Yes, in that all of the problems we face are the fault of the government.
If this rain keeps up I'm definitely not voting for them!

Back