Key Post Tips for Driving in this weather from AA

Good post ONQ!

<bows>

A summary of hard lessons learnt [and re-learnt] on Wednesday night's refresher course and Thursday mornings expedition.

BTW, I'm worried about the block freezing in -8 tonight - any thoughts?

Should I run the engine for ten minutes to warm her up or should I leave it?

ONQ.

Anyone having problems getting a car up or down a sloped driveway, Heiton Buckley Builders Merchants has 25Kg bags of rough industrial salt for €10.00

4 or 5 branches around Dublin, though not open now until Monday.

Its pretty crazy out there at the moment. I have a BMW and last year (or was early this year) I got caught out. The rear wheel drive means you get no grip whatsoever. I couldn't even go up a slight gradient and slipped all over the road. This year I just bought something called snow socks or other such things. Essentially they are a touch fabric that you put over the drive wheels like chains and are supposed to give you additional grip. They are easy to put on just pull over the wheels.

I tried them this year and have to say they are brilliant, only word for it. From the worst car on the road its now become one of the most stable cars on the road. They do look a bit silly and you look a bit of a twit. But not as much as I used to.

P.S not affiliated to any particular manufacturer and their are lots of alternative brand etc on the internet. Cost about €70 per pair depends upon size of your tyres.

Good Luck

I think I might get those snow shoes or whatever they are. I have a very slight incline out of my driveway to the top of the road. Yesterday, mine was the only car on the whole road that did not make it to the top despite me being very near the top and others having to come up past me. I had absolutely no grip.

I had to sit and wait on a slight thaw as well as going out to dig the snow off the whole road.

Have been told to try to reverse it up today or to try it in 2nd gear. Am dreading it. Will see shortly.

A girl in work bought those snow shoe things, will see how she got on.

carry a small plastic bottle of water to sprinkle on the windscreen when it becomes smeared. Useful if your windscreen washers freeze up. I saw two drivers ahead of me doing this while stopped at a red light.

Back