Case study Timber Child's Cot

newfarm

This is a long shot!
Years ago I safely put our childrens' timber cot in the attic for the day I'd need it ........for visitors ( who never did) and for grandchildren, who will soon be coming on sleep overs.

Two problems: it looks brutal and needs to be painted...............any thing to be alert to ?

My BIGGEST problem........I can't find the "screws/ bolts/ I don't know what to call them!" to assemble to parts...........a headboard, footboard, two sides and a base. Any suggestions please. Please be specific as you can see I'm low tech.....

Thanks!

To be honest, unless it's of a very sentimental value you might be as well to check on done deal or buy new for certainty. It doesn't really cost huge money and you can get real real bargains

Last edited:
This is a long shot!
Years ago I safely put our childrens' timber cot in the attic for the day I'd need it ........for visitors ( who never did) and for grandchildren, who will soon be coming on sleep overs.

As far as I'm aware, those older cots where one could let down the sides are no longer considered safe. If you look at any of the new cots it's the base that you adjust.

As it's something you'll be using only from time to time I suggest you consider a travel cot.
When these are folded they are very compact and would easily fit on to of or at the back of a wardrobe.

Right Newfarm, welcome to my world and a couple of years ago we were faced with the exact same situation. We took the cot from the attic, found that it was not as sturdy as when we used to use it. A few nuts and bolts were missing or worn. It proved impossible to source the exact same size connectors.

I bought four "barrel" nuts and bolts (€4.00 at most for the lot). I drilled two holes (size of bolts and barrel nuts) into the two bits of timber at each of the four corners of the sleeping section of the cot. I screwed the bolts into the barrel nuts through the timber and the cot was stronger than it was when we first bought it. Start to Finish in repair = 30 minutes max.

Recently went to attic to get cot (that had been put away with the intentions of not being needed again !!!) only to discover that a number of barrel nuts and those weird screw through bolts were missing. Rang Smyths (where we bought cot) looking for spares - spares not available. rang Mothercare - same story. Rang cot supplier in UK (Graco) again same story. By chance dropping off stuff to local charity shop (SVP) and was speaking to woman who worked there. Story of cot was mentioned and she told they had a warehouse for sorting items that are dropped to the SVp stores. Went to warehouse and there were dozens of cots (mostly too far gone to re-used) but after about 15mins of scavenging found all nuts and bolts required.
Maybe try your local charity shop. You never know what you might come across.

Back