The other referendum - there is one you know!

Now, Lepers being lepers, and perhaps I want to protest about something (along with many more cynics) it is not out of the question that a 21 year old would be elected as President on a huge protest vote.
They would have to be nominated first Leper - and I can't see any scenario where a 21 year old will get a nomination! As one lad on the street said on the news, he is voting no because he wouldn't want a 28 year old being able to draw down his pension! :D

There was an interesting point made by the Atheist Society today - who feel that none of its members could become President because to become President it is necessary to take the oath of office which starts with "In the presence of Almighty God,......" Their belief, which I accept, is that as they could not in conscience make such a declaration and as such a declaration is a requirement for becoming President, they are excluded from being President. They argue, making such a declaration, would be the moral equivalent of asking a fervent believer to take an oath which commences with "In the absence of any Almighty God,...."

Apparently, similar oaths are required in order to join the Judiciary and the Council of State. Presumably, at least some people who attained such high office were not believers but nonetheless decided to take an oath they did not believe in. If so - which is wrong, the person who made a false oath or the Constitution of a Republic which places people in such a position?
Very good point and a bigger issue than the age bar.

...it is not out of the question that a 21 year old would be elected as President on a huge protest vote.

While possible, I think it's a long shot that a protest candidate would get that far though given the nomination process. Isn't it 20 TDs/ Senators or 4 councils backing required to get on the ballot? Given the establishment's level of control in those circles, getting enough independent or maverick TDs to agree on a single nomination might be tricky. If they were to unify behind a protest candidate, it's more likely to be one with a strong track record.

I'll be voting yes. My only reservation is that it should be 18 and not 21.
Why any restriction at all? If the people of Ireland want to elect baby George as presi or even a horse that is their choice. Elsewhere you express great faith in the wisdom of the Irish electorate and the other artificial barriers that are in place to restrict being a candidate but even you appear to require some boundaries to be placed on that faith.

Last edited:
Why any restriction at all? If the people of Ireland want to elect baby George as presi or even a horse that is their choice. Elsewhere you express great faith in the wisdom of the Irish electorate and the other artificial barriers that are in place to restrict being a candidate but even you appear to require some boundaries to be placed on that faith.
I support universal adult suffrage and that any adult should be able to stand for any elected office.

Back