Tesco Ballybrack Strike

It seems to me that Tesco may well be forced out of Ireland for a second time. Must be a tough business grocery.

That's what Unions do; close private businesses. They are very good at it.

Seems that they might close a public business too. Will minister Ross save the day. Though in fairness it must be said management at Bus Eireann is to blame as well.

Tesco , from their point of view , have sadly underestimated the fact that the majority of Irish people will never pass a picket .
Will they leave Ireland - I doubt it, they simply have to agree to the terms and conditions enjoyed by long term employees of whom approx 250 remain & then down the line attack the t & c 's of all employees but surely they will think long & hard before doing so given the fact that the public have failed to support them during this dispute.
Will the Government subvent Bus Eireann to the extent required ?
I think they will , what do other posters think ?

Closing the Athlone-Westport route on the 16 of April Will put it up to Kenny. Bus Eireann are playing The Government next up will be Irish Rail.The last Government would have given in by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

The taxpayer will probably come to the rescue in some form. Pity though as we have rising homelessness wouldn't you agree?

For the Expressway service at least, I boggles my mind that this has not been privatised - it's losing money for Bus Eireann and putting the whole company at risk. The private operators providing similar services seem to be doing fine..

They can't easily subvent Expressway as that would more then likely break EU rules and the Commercial Bus operators would probably have a field-day in court with them. They could raise the subvention payment for individual routes but there is no guarantee Bus Eireann would win a commercially tendered process for it. They can't increase fares as that would make Bus Eireann even more anti-competitive. They know if they give more money to Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus and Irish Rail will be next at their door. They could increase the payment for DSP cards but that will be a significant cost to the Exchequer as it would go to all the operators, not just Bus Eireann

I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed it to go into insolvency so a slimmed down Bus Eireann could emerge without Expressway and simply focus on city buses in Cork, Waterford etc which are profitable. An alternative "fudge" might be for the state to fund a redundancy scheme so expensive workers can be ushered out the door, loss making Expressway routes put out to tender allowing Bus Eireann to move away from that market and reduce it's costs. On top of all of that, there is also the privitisation of Waterford City buses to consider as well and what happens with that. Whole thing is an absolute mess.

In the case of Bus Eireann the Unions are once again putting a gun to the head of the Irish people with one hand while robbing them with the other. Nothing new there.
The government will cave in and the old and the poor will have a little bit more taken from them to subsidise employees of a State company who enjoy very valuable packages (pay, pension, superb T's & C's, job security, etc.). Nothing new there either.

It's beyond a joke that privatising the Expressway service hasn't been put forward as a viable option..

Back