Tennant not paying rent, way forward

steelblue

Hi

Currently i have a tennant that has not paid Sept rent and is now behind on Oct rent. I have a 1 year fixed term contract with tenant which started 4 months ago. In the contract, it states the following

The Landlord may terminate this Tenancy Agreement for non payment of rent. A 14 day Service of
Notice will issue demanding full and immediate payment. Failure by the Tenant to comply will result in a 28
day Notice Of Termination by the Landlord.

Can somebody tell me what a "service of notice" is and the best way to proceed.

Non-payment of rent is obviously good grounds for termination, but as the tenancy began less than six months ago, you can in any case terminate without giving any reason. So, you do not have to wait the 14 days to give the tenant time to pay - you can issue notice to quit straight away. This doesn't mean they don't still owe you the rent and you would be entitled to withhold their deposit if it's not paid.

See the PRTB website (www.prtb.ie) for details of the statutory form the notice of termination must take - it is very important to get this right, or the notice will be invalid.

[broken link removed]

Whoops, sorry, as you have a lease in place, you must also comply with its terms, so you do have to give them the 14 days to pay. I guess send them a letter (preferably registered, so you have proof of receipt) pointing out the non-payment terms in the lease and asking them to pay, otherwise you will serve notice to quit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back