Tenants to have a right to purchase at an "independent valuation".

It will give a tenant buyer an advantage over non-renters. This is from the ihrec website:
  • Equal treatment when accessing goods, services, facilities and accommodation, for example when using public services, looking for housing, getting the bus, going to school or college, or going to the pub.
If a renter's matching offer must legally be accepted by the landlord, how is that treating all prospective buyers equally?

It could affect how much a landlord might realise for their property as it will restrict bidding ie, buyer1 offers X, buyer2 offers Y, tenant matches Y so no more bids can happen even if buyers1 & 2 would have been happy to keep bidding.

What happens if months later the tenant loan falls through, or they change their mind about buying? What if the original termination date is long gone?

Last edited:
Its perfectly constitutional. They get a right to make an offer, and if they don't the sale proceeds as normal. All it really means is that the tenants get a right to advance notice on the sale and a right to put in an offer. If they do not or cannot make an offer that comes close to the valuation then the landlord is under no obligation to accept it.
I'd imagine a lot of landlords do this anyway.
Tenants have the right to make an offer now on any property for sale including the one they are currently renting. What will this new legislation do except maybe drag out the sale process?

Of course that could be the plan...if the sale is not agreed or completed in 9 months and tenants currently have a right to re-rent the property if it's not sold in that time, does that mean the tenancy automatically continues? Confusing.

This makes very little sense.

A sane landlord will offer it to a tenant at market value or below it for many reasons. No estate agents fees and no void period - tenant will occupy it until day of sale. Likewise ability to sell furniture and no need to tidy house up for viewings.

If I was a landlord selling I’d accept a 5% discount to market value to a sitting tenant.
I did bargain them down, but not by a large amount.

This seems crazy alright. Sellers often get more through a competitive bidding process. This will set the price at some estate agent’s best guess. If your tenant is in the process, forget making a few bob extra.

Back