Tenants position after lease

samfarrell

I am leasing an apartment in Dublin. The term of the lease is 12 months and expires in about 6 weeks from now. I am wondering, what happens when this term is up. I am assuming the contractual obligations of the lease will expire, so do i need a new lease or what is the norm?
I would like to stay in the property

Have spoken today to the landlord
He informs me that it is his intention to renovate the apartment once my lease is up so that i will have to leave then.

You could suggest that you stay in the apartment at a reduced rent while he renovates. I believe if he intends to sell it he is allowed to evict you but I'm not certain that is the same for renovating.......perhaps someone else can clear up this point.

From [broken link removed]

Vacant possession is required for substantial refurbishment of the dwelling. NB - The notice must include a written statement specifying the nature of the intended works to be carried out and planning permission, if relevant. Where planning permission is not required, the notice must include a written statement confirming the name of the contractor employed to carry out the refurbishment, and the dates and proposed duration of the works.*.

*For these grounds, the termination notice must contain certain additional details as specified in the Act relating to the tenant being given first refusal to resume the tenancy should the dwelling become available for re-letting.

Thats interesting, thanks
I have asked the landlord if it his intention to put the property up for rent when his work is completed but he has yet to answer
Hopefully he will and give me first refusal.
I would hate to think this was all a ploy to remove me and increase the rent with a new tenant !

Back