Tenant late with rent numerous times.

You're like the map reader in car, who tells the driver you should have turned left 5 mins ago. Then as its becomes apparent theres no exit off the motorway for 10 miles, add 'you should have checked this before you left'.

Deciding based on gut instinct that your tenants are bad news is unfair as it fails the reciprocity test. What if they had decided, based on gut instinct, that you were a poor landlord and then trashed your house?

When the tenants have damaged the property, been late with the rent, have a social worker on their case, said their last landlord could 'f**k off' and have been abusive over the phone then most peoples gut instinct would tell them only one thing! you reap what you sow, as christians will be familiar with.

I don't think it would work for her if she told the bank to consider the nativity story when she got no rent from her tenants to pay the mortgage.

I don't know if you are a Christian, but if you are, consider the Nativity story over Christmas and your actions in this case.

What has being a Christian (or not) got to do anything? The OP is not running a charitable institution - she is doing business.

It would also appear that the OP understands the term bullying and rather was questioning WHY you referred to her as a bully. I myself cannot see where she bullied anyone in this case, in fact, she gave leeway on more than one occasion of rent being late, and then offered to let them stay on if the rent was paid on time - and the tenants themselves said they wanted to leave!!

Judging by the tenants actions I think its quite clear that the OPs gut instinct had nothing to do with what happened, in fact when she met these people and agreed to the tenancy it was her gut instinct that gave them a chance in the first place!!!

Have to say I think the digs about being a Christian are unfair. The tenants were bad news and the OP did give them chances. I gave a tenant with a sob story many chances with late rent over the period of a year. The eventual outcome was that he saw me as a soft touch and did a runner owing me three months rent. Once bitten twice shy as they say and I have never again been as trusting of people. I will never again be able to give tenants the benefit of the doubt due to the actions of that particular guy. That might not be a fair thing but I won't be conned out of €3000 again. It's not just the money it's the horrible feeling of being taken for a fool.

Have to say I think the digs about being a Christian are unfair. The tenants were bad news and the OP did give them chances. I gave a tenant with a sob story many chances with late rent over the period of a year. The eventual outcome was that he saw me as a soft touch and did a runner owing me three months rent. Once bitten twice shy as they say and I have never again been as trusting of people. I will never again be able to give tenants the benefit of the doubt due to the actions of that particular guy. That might not be a fair thing but I won't be conned out of €3000 again. It's not just the money it's the horrible feeling of being taken for a fool.

Well, Carolina brought up the Christian aspect, but he or she also gave some sound business advice in post 90 of this thread.

Shootingstar did have dodgy tenants but he or she gave them one weeks notice to leave the house according to post 25 of this thread.

yeah, admittedly if the landlady gave the 4 weeks notice (which would be legal minimum) as opposed to the 1 weeks notice in the contract (which is less than the legal minimum) the renting family would still have been evicted about 4 weeks before Christmas, which doesn't seem very Christian either...:confused:

If there is some contractual/legal issue fair enough but I don't see any justification for bringing sectarian religious views into this discussion to be honest.

I don't know if you are human but if you are please consider the story of the landlord/lady who evicted a family of 6 with one weeks notice over Xmas. How's that, Clubman?

I don't know if you are human but if you are please consider the story of the landlord/lady who evicted a family of 6 with one weeks notice over Xmas. How's that, Clubman?

But its not Xmas its mid November.

I don't get the impression that the tenants kept the landlord informed that the rent would be late, or that a cheque would bounce. They also didn't seem all that concerned that the rent would be late. You might think this is normal. But to me this would send warning bells that there is going to be ongoing difficulties with this tenant. Also the tenant decided to move out very fast so I would assume they have somewhere else to go. I also don't assume that because someone has a family that they won't be trouble and leave you out of pocket. The client was given notice not evicted.

Its facile to bring religion and ethics into this. Because the tenant hasn't acted well here either IMO. Regardless that the landlord was aware of the laws and regulations, it doesn't mean that when they become aware of them, they can overlook the behaviour thus far of the tenant. Some compromise could have been work out if BOTH parties were amiable to this. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Whatever the time of year one should pay one's bills. What is the relevence of xmas to this story. How does anyone on here assume the tenant or landlord is a Christian? To those who think the landlord was incorrect in her handling of the situation I didn't notice any of you offering to take in the tenant's. Renting property is a business not a charity. As a previous poster said, explain to the bank I can't pay my mortgage but it's xmas so you shouldn't expect me to.......... The banks will be very 'Christian' in these circumstances.

Whatever the time of year one should pay one's bills. What is the relevence of xmas to this story. How does anyone on here assume the tenant or landlord is a Christian? To those who think the landlord was incorrect in her handling of the situation I didn't notice any of you offering to take in the tenant's. Renting property is a business not a charity. As a previous poster said, explain to the bank I can't pay my mortgage but it's xmas so you shouldn't expect me to.......... The banks will be very 'Christian' in these circumstances.

yeah, but if the bank expected you to pay your mortgage on the basis of an illegal clause in the mortgage contract, how would you feel?

And aircobra, why is it facile to bring ethics into this? I think it does raise ethical issues, regardless of how scummily the tenants behaved.

Back