tenant has paid no rent this month

Re: tenant has payed no rent this month

the tenants have not directly connacted me to cancel inspection, the have informed my agent whom i hired to deal with them. She told them that i do have right to inspect as i wrote in my notice that i was taking a workman with me to inspect the windows that they complained were drafty. I also called PRTB what a joke, she said if the don't give me permission to enter i cant enter, i have to send in a disputes form to deal with this whole sorry account. she couldn't tell me how long that would take,it seems to me the landlord has no rights. I'm going down to the house tonight and if i get abuse i have the gardai on standby as the also can't believe that i have no rights to kick them out
How much research did you do on the nature of this business before you became a landlord?

thanks all, they cancalled but have agreed to meet me tomorrow night instesd plus the said the would move out on the 18th of sept, my agent is drafting papers up now for them to sign, just wondering now should i send them the 28 day notice when the 14 day notice is up. They have agreed to pay the rent weekly till they move

Ok that's sounds promising. Softly softly now, it's better to get rid of them than to be picky as they are in charge and it's nicer if everything finishes amicably.

Yes you should make sure to send the 28 day notice if that is what is legally required (just in case they don't go).

got to do my inspection the house is fine, they are paying rent weekly now till Sept, the also signed form stating the property will be handed back to me then. I really should go after them for break of lease as they have sined up for another 6 months and now i'm left with looking for some new tenants

Count yourself lucky that they are leaving and they have not thrashed the place.

Agree. They sound like trouble. Get rid of them asap and be thankful it's not a long protracted 'sit in' with no assistance from the PRTB whatsoever (like so many others). I thank my lucky stars I have such decent tenants (in my only rented out house, elsewhere a different story unfortunately) who work with me, not against me.

The tenant sounds like trouble?? I think the landlord sounds like troubled to me. Maybe im missing the detail of what happened from another thread but things escalated fairly fast in this thread...from guarda to prtb to heavies...

one cancelled meeting with tenants does not a war make. thread is onlyh 6 days old and tenant has agreed to pay weekly and move out on a set date.

You may find being a landlord is just too much stress for you to handle. The first hint on this is trying to hand off the work to an agent...

well yankinlk my way has worked they are leaving yippee and yes they were trouble. I've heard some horror stories about tenants staying in house and not paying rent and i certainly was not going to sit back and let that happen plus you did not hear the abuse i receivied from them "scary". I needed to ask someone else to step in as i was getting nowhere with the tenants, they seemed to think i was a soft touch, boy were the wrong

......... I really need entery to my property as i believe they are up to something so i sent 7 days notice of inspection but they are refusing me entery with one days notice, can i just let myself in even if they are at home as i'm doing everything by the book

I have to say I agree with yankinla as it appears that the rent was only a week late. This can't be unexpected in these times and maybe all the tenant needed to know was that they had an understanding landlord who was on the case and didnt want the overdue to get out of hand rather than suspecting they were 'up to something'.

Feelinglow, while you say that 'they seemed to think i was a soft touch, boy were the wrong' I am glad for you that you are rid of tenants that clearly you clashed with - this attitude stinks to me because it appears confrontational when discussion could have prevented this escalating to the state it did.
The tenant may genuinely not have been able to meet you for the inspection as requested for any number of personal reasons that crop up at the last minute and this seems to have irked you to the point of getting stressed about it.

I am a landlord and luckily have never had any serious problems with tenants because I have found that the best way is to deal directly and reasonably with tenants with an open book.

Wildone what would you do with a tenant who kept a large dog and smoked knowing it was not allowed under the terms of the lease? The landlord has mentioned - abuse, in fear, scary and verbally abused and large German shepard -
Do you think a cosy chat with the tenants would work?

I would definitely address the problem as soon as I become aware of it by calling around. In this case; with the landlord feeling fear and getting abuse - it's not on I agree, so bring somebody. (I digress but I would not have chosen a tenant with that disposition in the first place!)

The terms of the lease should be clear and I would remind the tenant to read again and note that notice will be served if things don't change.

If things don't change - serve notice. Simple. The landlord will still hold the deposit in case the dog slobbered everywhere, or smoke smells need cleaning. Remember that this is not normal wear and tear and should not have to be done had the terms of the lease been kept.

I agree, I might have a simple outlook on this but I have been at it for years and years. Prevention is better than getting yourself into this situation and I would rather do without a months rent at the start of a tenancy to get a better tenant.

Wildone,
It's very easy to say all that stuff when you've never experienced a biligerant tenant. You have been lucky and that's great, but others have suffered at the hands of out and out scumbag tenants who play the system.

Regards and continued good luck.

Murphaph - I agree, I have never had serious scumbags as tenants and this possibly makes me ignorant of the situations encountered by other posters but again, I put that down to picking the tenants carefully and not just letting the properties for the sake of getting anybody in. Short term gain can = long term pain (and vica versa).

Becky, of course a tenant can put on a show when they come to view a property and make it easy to think that they would be fine tenants. However, an essential part of the process is to get a reference from a previous landlord and/or employer. I check these references but ultimately if I get a bad 'vibe', fairly or not, that person will not become a tenant of mine. This is the case for decent apartments in nice locations as well as houses split into flats.
Probably luck and experience have played their part too........

Thanks Bronte. Wildone the rent was 2 weekes (not the frist time either) over due and i had agreed to let the tenants pay on the 3rd Mon but low and below no money went into ac, so i rang to ask what the problem was and got a mouthful from them. they stated house was freezing, windows were drafty And that i should pay their E.S.B. bill plus the wanted me to pay them for cutting grass. This is a span new dwelling(only one other tenant resided there). When i told them that i needed to inspect the dwelling all hell broke loose on their half, so what was i to think and i know there was something fishy going on as i'm very freindly with the neighbours. They tenants simply taught that i would not carry out inspection as i handed over to agent, so the needed extra time to get rid of whatever it was they didn't want me to see, and no i am not been paronoid.
Oh by they way i interviewed these tenants on 3 seperate occassions before the moved in, one session lasted an hour and boy did they put on some show.I checked reference but now i have feeling they were not from previous landlord but some friend of theirs. Can you tell me what is the best way of checking reference

References are useless. Landlords give glowing references to tenants to help get rid of them! It's bad, but it happens. i wish such landlords no luck in life.

How do you know what people are like?

That is why you do not use an agency! (as OP said they did). A casual person to person conversation with every potential tenant works wonders. You would be surprised what people will admit to once you get them talking.

I've plenty of experience but I met the most lovely couple, sweet as pie, perfect everything, and from the perfect couple in two months I got dog, chimney fire and fire engine, neighbours complaining, rubbish left to rot despite being paid for by me, young kids left crying all day in the house when they went out after they left, when I gave them back their deposit they took me to the High Court and on the day in court both he and she were brought to court for the case from jail. Now I've met nasty people but there are not many landlords whose female tenant, a mother, ends up in jail. I've heard since of some of their antics such as they broke all the windows in the next house they went to, and hitting a young child over the head with a hurley stick, in my case the damage was minimal. There are crooks and gangsters and people who know how to play the system but I've also had great tenant's, the best of tenants. It's swings and roundabouts. That's the nature of the landlord game. Experience helps but I never know when I will get caught again.

I did not use an agency, i interview these tenants as i said already for an hour on one occassion and they both came of as lovely pleasant young men. I only hired agency when they wouldn't speak with me only to shout and roar abuse at me. I too have had lovely tenants in the past, its hard nowadays to seperate the good from the bad espically as the bad ones know how to work the system and we as landlords have our hands tied behind our backs. Thanks for all your replies much appreicated.

Hi me again, I met with the tenants and i gave him the option of terminating thr lease as i felt this was the only way to get them out. The signed an agreement stating the would leave on the 18th Sept. They also agreed to pay their rent weekly till then. They have used up their deposit as rent. Now the have not paid last weeks rent stating the are withholding it till window is fixed, the hinge is loose no big deal. I organised a workman to go fix it but the would not let him in at the time it suited him. Now one of them is in the house all day, he never leaves the other is working. The treatened me with the guards if i entered house. I got a call from treshhold on behalf of tenants complaining about the window, i told her the would not let me in and where withholding rent and been complete and utter *******s. She said she was sorry for wasting my time and not to worry about it. They evenually agreed on Mon to let workman in so he fixed the window but the still have not paid rent. Now my question is if the do not move out on the 18th can i enter the property and change locks. Can i take them to small claims court for non payment of rent if the do leave and the big question is can i do them for breach of lease as they are supposed to be there till March. I know i got them to sign stating the would leave but i was under severe pressure and stress with there bullying ways

You know they are playing you? And there's little you can do about it.

No you cannot enter the property, do not do anything you shouldn't as I fear these people may use it against you. It's probably what they want. Have you served them proper notice ?

If taking a case against them my understanding is that you go through the PRTB and that is probably a waste of time, although the fact one of them has a job is a good thing in this regard.

I would be very interested in what the PRTB advice is to you to do in this situation.

If you have any luck at all they will move out on the 18th.

Back