'Temporary' job loss & Jobseekers Benefit

S

siobhan

This is a tricky one and I have been trying to find info on CAB and welfare.ie but I'm more confused than I was at the beginning. Any guidance or suggestions would be very welcome.

I have been told by my employer that he can't afford to pay me for next month, and he has asked me to take a month's unpaid leave, with reassurances that my job will be there in 7 weeks time.

However, he will not be making any PRSI contributions etc, so for all intents and purposes I am being laid off. How does this affect Jobseekers Benefit for the future? I know from welfare.ie that I have enough stamps now as I have been working for 5 years, full time.

But if I'm laid off, and taken back in August and then laid off again less than 13 weeks later, where do I stand with my Jobseekers benefit? I'm also concerned that if he can't afford to pay me now, that he won't be able to take me back then, and that by accepting this now, I will lose all of my unpaid holidays, and entitlement to redundancy.

I am married, with a husband in employment (just about!), renting and with savings in the bank for the guts of a house deposit so when/if I'm means tested, I will not be entitled to much under Jobseekers allowance.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have,

S

You should calim JB for any days of unemployment, which 'unpaid leave' is. You will get a 'credited'contributiosn for any full weeks that you claim JB, protecting future entitlements. If you have to make a repeat claim within 26 weeks of your last claim, both claims 'link' and the original claim qualifying conditions/rate opf pay apply. You cannot lose entitlement to holidays that you have already worked for.

Thanks Welfarite. I haven't been given the full notice I am entitled to though, and I'm not being paid for it either, but the official line is that I will be re-employed in 6 weeks so this is not an issue. The same goes for my holidays.

Obviously I don't want to cause too much grief for a good employer who may be cash-strapped, but the notice I was given is less than the statutory requirement and as there is a chance I may not be re-employed despite his best intentions, am I waiving my rights to this money by not asking for it now?

Back