Technical Writer - IT

Audrey

Anybody familiar with the IT industry in terms of job availability for a Technical Writer? Hubby has been a Tech Writer for almost 20 years, contracting. Last contract ended some time back. Wants to become a permie if poss, but would accept a contract. Accesses all the usual jobserve sites, and has name down with various agencies, but nothing much happening. I thought the industry was starting to recover! I keep hearing that IT jobs are back in fashion, but why are we getting nowhere?

IT Industry certainly has recovered compared to 3 years ago but the demand for Technical writers is never going to be huge. I have worked in 2 software companies, each having 200+ employees yet there was only 3 technical writers between them.

Demand is high for specific skills like J2EE etc where you might have 40-50 of such skilled people in one of the companies I mention above.

Having said that I dont think Technical Writers are tied to the IT industry? Are there other industries that require technical writers?

Is he looking for a dublin based job? There should be some technical writer positions there, we just hired a new one only last month. If you are looking outside of Dublin then yes you will find there isnt much there in terms of IT jobs in comparison.

Has he applied for any jobs directly rather than waiting for the agencies to match him with a client? There are 54 IT technical writer jobs currently listed on IrishJobs.ie for example and some of them invite direct applications.

Thanks everybody. Yes he's looking for Dublin specifically, and I will check that jobs website - thanks.

Technical writers often move into Testing, if he is interested in this sphere he may find a lot more open to him.

Another possibility might be to work for one of those companies that employ writers to write abstracts of technical (although not necessarily IT related) papers.

Or move to a sales role (if you have the personality for it) - I know a couple of great salesmen who started out in Technical Writing

Back