Taxes back when setting up a tourism related business

D

Drumraven

There was once a scheme where you could claim back taxes paid from previous employment if you were starting a new business related to tourism. I think the limit was the last 5 years of your paid employment and a cap of something like €50,000. I don't know if I'm explaining this well, so here's an illustrative example.

Mr. Drumraven worked for 20 years at company x as an engineer. Feeling unfullfilled, he decided he wanted to start his own business. Being the practical one, Mrs. Drumraven looked at ways to finance this. Under the scheme at the time, it could have worked like this:

Creation of fantastic business plan for tourism based company "IrelandisNifty.Com" (that's just an example, not an actual marketing decision!).
Presentation of business plan to the powers that be in revenue and tourism bodies.
Mr. Drumraven is refunded his PAYE contributions for the last 5 years of his employment to be used for the development of this new business.

After all this build up, my question is: Does this scheme still exist? It wasn't known widely at the time to the regular punter

There was once a scheme where you could claim back taxes paid from previous employment if you were starting a new business related to tourism. I think the limit was the last 5 years of your paid employment and a cap of something like €50,000. I don't know if I'm explaining this well, so here's an illustrative example.

Mr. Drumraven worked for 20 years at company x as an engineer. Feeling unfullfilled, he decided he wanted to start his own business. Being the practical one, Mrs. Drumraven looked at ways to finance this. Under the scheme at the time, it could have worked like this:

Creation of fantastic business plan for tourism based company "IrelandisNifty.Com" (that's just an example, not an actual marketing decision!).
Presentation of business plan to the powers that be in revenue and tourism bodies.
Mr. Drumraven is refunded his PAYE contributions for the last 5 years of his employment to be used for the development of this new business.

After all this build up, my question is: Does this scheme still exist? It wasn't known widely at the time to the regular punter

Are you talking about seed capital? check link

[broken link removed]

Thanks Papervalue-I saw an earlier thread dealing with this only after my post.
It's tempting to go "the cultivation of mushrooms" route just because it seems so surreal...

Back