Tax due on a single premium investment policy with Aviva

illdoit2morrow

I have a single premium investment policy with Aviva in which i put a lump sum of €12000 back in 2021. Allocation is 101%.
Its mostly invested in equities which haven't done too well but that is not what my query is about.

I got an annual statement and didn't understand how the net policy value was calculated, Aviva came back to me directly with the following explanation.

Rem
DescriptionFormulaAmount
AGross Policy Value12096.33
BPremium To Date12000.00
CPremium to Use (With Levy)
B/1.01
DPast GRU Tax0
ETaxable GainsA-C+D215.14
FTax Rate41%
GTax(E*F)-D88.21
Net Policy ValueA-G12008.12

The Premium to Use (With Levy) amount is not displayed on the Aviva service centre
I understand the government levy is 1% and taken at source but feel its a tad unfair that i am paying the levy and then paying tax on any gains on the Premium to Use (with Levy) amount.
I was expecting the Taxable gains to be A-B+D instead of A-C+D. I've already paid the levy so its not a taxable gain my my eyes.
Am i completely missing the point as to what a 'gain' is and how tax is applied on a gain? I thought my gain was €96 not €215.

Your investment in the fund was after the deduction of the levy ie € 11,881 so the gain is € 12,096 - € 11,881 = € 215

The levy is not a tax, it's a levy to recover the cost of the Quinn Insurance fiasco

I am surprised that the fund is only worth 12,096 but I suppose that will depend on when in 2021 you actually purchased it

Your investment in the fund was after the deduction of the levy ie € 11,881 so the gain is € 12,096 - € 11,881 = € 215

The levy is not a tax, it's a levy to recover the cost of the Quinn Insurance fiasco

I am surprised that the fund is only worth 12,096 but I suppose that will depend on when in 2021 you actually purchased it
The fund is called L&G Multi-Index V Fund and the policy commenced in May 2021. Its been up and down since then.

The fund is a medium to low risk - I wouldn't expect that it is heavily invested in equities at all
The lgim site does not give a breakdown of the fund holding - a big no-no in my view

It is actively managed and does not seek to match a benchmark.

Last edited:
Back