Tax Deductables from CGT - Inflation Included?

Dave Dub

WHAT ABOUT Capital Gains Tax?

I was reading one of the posts describing tax on investment properties could somebody please be kind enough to explain this to me:

"You will pay 20% CGT on any profit you make when you sell the house. The profit is calculated as the net sales proceeds less the cost of acquisition. The cost of acquisition includes legal fees and stamp duty and any pre-letting refurbishment or decoration for which an income tax deduction was not claimed. The cost is indexed for inflation."

Does this mean that if someone bought a place and then ten years later went to sell it for lets say the gain was 100,000 and at the start there were costs of 10,000 and over this time lets say that there was 4% a year inflation, is the taxable income:

100,000-[(10,000 *1.04) + (10,400 *1.04) + tens times total.....] = ?

therefore

100,000-14,802 = 85,198

This seems to mean that a lot of your potentially taxable income is removed!!

That sounds almost too fair for Ireland!!

Cheers

David

To account for inflation revenue use indexation. The indexation rate depends on the year of purchase and the year of sale. Its a set rate. I think since 02 there is no indexation.
If you search on revenue web site you will get the indexation table.

No indexation for CGT gain calculations since 2002 - so the logic no longer applies for the main gain :(

If you held the asset you sell since before 2002 you are I believe entitled to index it for the period up to 2002 but not after that.

As regards the indexation of refurbishment costs .. I'm not sure ... but it's hardly that much of a bonanza .. in your example above the difference would be about €900

Back