Taking out Grant of Probate without Solicitor for straightforward Will, what to include?

Polly 123

I have read up Citizens Information etc. but I am still not clear on what is included when applying for a Grant of Probate.

Helping someone who has recently loss their spouse to apply for a Grant of Probate. The family home is in both names as is a small credit union account. Outside of that there is a post office book in the deceased persons name for €35k and a few vodafone shares worth about €45. The will is straightforward, all of the estate left to the surviving spouse.

They have asked for my help in completing the application for the Grant of Probate as they are not very financially well off. I am just unsure do I need to include the family home and the credit union account or is it just the post office account and the shares that were held in the deceased persons name.

Thanks in advance

Very useful page and has links to other information on R/H side. This is hopefully much more than you'll need to know. Any questions, post back here.

EDIT:in bold above

Last edited:
You need to include all assets whether both Solely and Jointly on the Revenue form. But the estate of deceased will only be the value for probate of the Solely held assets. The cost of a personal application for probate with an estate under 100k will be 200 euro.
I done the process myself it the last 6 months it is fairly straightforward.
The court services of Ireland have all the forms necessary online.
But the first step is the revenue form which can be done online.

You need to include all assets whether both Solely and Jointly on the Revenue form. But the estate of deceased will only be the value for probate of the Solely held assets. The cost of a personal application for probate with an estate under 100k will be 200 euro.
I done the process myself it the last 6 months it is fairly straightforward.
The court services of Ireland have all the forms necessary online.
But the first step is the revenue form which can be done online.
Thank you Cavanbhoy that is a great help, will the house need to be valued if it is in both their names for probate or just listed as an asset?

Check then check and check again the forms you send in you'll save a few thousand euros by doing it yourself.
Plenty help here if you need just ask.
Good luck.

Check then check and check again the forms you send in you'll save a few thousand euros by doing it yourself.
Probably a lot quicker too, according to this article from Oct 2022, many solicitor applications are not checked properly.

‘’An error rate of up to 60 per cent by solicitors in probate applications and a lack of staff in probate offices are contributing to delays in issuing probate grants, causing anxiety for house buyers and sellers.’’

“It is worth noting that up to 60 per cent of applications are returned to solicitors due to errors. This significant error rate slows up the processing of cases.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/2022/10/25/staff-shortages-and-solicitor-errors-contributing-to-probate-grant-delays/#:~:text=An error rate of up,for house buyers and sellers.

Back