Tablet for 9 yr old

My concern with the €100 tablet is they may not get an update.

I think there's a balancing act there, a tablet in regular use by a 9 year old is likely to have a relatively short lifespan, so I wouldn't see the ability to receive updates as being critical.

But also the most important thing on a touch screen device is the quality of the screen response. Its the one thing that suffers on cheaper devices.

Good point, the best screens are capacative (versus resistive) and multi-touch (can track more than one finger for operations such as zooming via pinch gestures)

Even though it is for a 9 year-old, don't be too tempted by the cheaper ones. (Especially not the RIM one!)

If she is using it for games, even if it's for the kid friendly games like Toca Boca apps (superb for kids, but probably too young for her) they still rely on the tablet and OS being responsive and quick.

I'd second the Nexus 7 if you can go that high in price, the Google Play store is fine and other tablets have better cameras, I'm not sure just how great a camera your daughter needs.

I wouldn't worry too much about updates, developers are ok with trying to get their apps compatible and in tests I've done on both android and iOS, there's no real problem and apps work well across different versions and different tablets (though not so much the lower end ones, android developers tend to test and base their apps on the most popular and higher spec tablets like the Nexus, Note, etc).

I know others have been somewhat negative about getting a tablet for your daughter at her age, but there are some great educational apps for kids and simple games. So she'll probably end up using it for far more than just the stuff you've listed and so on that note my only advice to people looking for tablets for this general use is to get the best one you can afford to. You'll get much longer and much better use out of a slightly more expensive tablet than one of the lower end ones.

Well a quick google for reviews & this was the first thing up [broken link removed]

Doesn't look like a company I'd be happy to deal with

Back