Switching mortgage & using different solicitor?

Yeboah21

Hi folks - Newbie poster here seeking a bit of advice.

Last year my wife & I took out a mortgage with Haven via a broker. We went first year fixed @ 3.5% and having made our 12th payment recently, we are now on their variable rate of 3.4%.

Already we're looking to switch mortgage lenders - if the cashback can more than cover the associated expenses, then I don't see why not.

The best offer we found is 2 years fixed with KBC at 2.99% but after reading the mortgage best buys thread, I delved a little deeper and found that indeed their rates for existing customers was lousy! I do wonder though with clawback more or less no longer legally enforceable, what would be stopping us from switching again after 2 years with them? If we could switch in 2 years time without penalty, then we would consider KBC.

But in any case, we've made an appointment with our local EBS mortgage consultant with a view to switch. The cashback offer is very appealing as is the idea of being able switch again in the near future if desired.

However should EBS approve our application to switch, we would be reluctant to use the same solicitor firm that we used last year for the switch as they proved themselves to be absolutely useless at replying to emails (we couldn't phone up as we're deaf) so I wonder would it complicate matters if we were to use a different solicitor for the switch or would we be better advised to just grin and bear it and use last year's solicitors for the switch as surely the work involved is straightforward in comparison to the purchase of a house?

Back