Switching mortgage and solicitor fees

monia

Hi there,

I will hopefully buy the share of my house off my ex and switch the mortgage lender (from PTSB to AIB).
What are the costs involved for switching mortgages?

AIB does not offer a free service as other lenders.

Thanks
Monia

Re: Switching mortgage and sollicitor fees

Depends on the solicitors you deal with. I remortgaged with the same solicitor that I bought the house with so less of an issue when it came to deeds etc, so only cost me approx 600 euro.
There are threads on this site for cheap efficient solicitors, so you could maybe do a search to find them.
[broken link removed] offer 599 + VAT + Outlay for remortgage. I'm sure there are other comparable offers out there.

As the title deeds to the house will have to be amended to remove your ex no lender can offer a free switch (as it's not technically a switch). Total costs for a straightforward remortgage/buyout should be in the region of €1200-€1500 including legal outlays and VAT (excluding Stamp Duty, if applicable).

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Hi there,
actually I got a figure of 1,370+outlays from a sollicitor reccomended in this website. I guess it is too much right?
Regards
Monia

The figure initially mentioned of around 600 refers only to a remortgage- it would be very very unlikely that you would find a solicitor who would do both a remortgage and a transfer of title for that figure. The figure quoted to you seems reasonable in the circumstances.

Land Registry outlays alone for this transaction could amount to €675+ (register your title, register new mortgage and vacate of old mortgage) so Sarah's estimate of €1200 incl. is v optimistic!

Back