Superquinn to lay off 400 workers

hizzy

Hi

Just saw this on the rte website

Superquinn has confirmed it is to shed 400 jobs and close its Dundalk Store.
67 jobs will be lost in Dundalk with the remaining jobs lost across the rest of the chain from senior management down.
Superquinn has 24 stores in all.
Advertisement

Today's redundancy announcement is the equivalent of 12% of the staff.
CEO Simon Burke says that most of the job losses will be amongst full-time staff.

Regards

hizzy

Their Dundalk store is suffering badly due to shoppers going accross the border to Newry and also with the likes of Aldi, who have just announced an 21% increase in their sales for 08 and of course lidi.

But I would expect Superquinn to suffer most as they always went for the top end of goods and service.

Interesting times ahead.................

I have a suspicion that the new owners of Superquinn bought it with a view to closing some of the branches. I heard on the radio this evening that there had been very little investment in this store in recent years. I do some shoppig in the Superquinn in Blanchardstown, and I have the same impression of this store i.e. under-investment.

Their Dundalk store is suffering badly due to shoppers going accross the border to Newry and also with the likes of Aldi, who have just announced an 21% increase in their sales for 08 and of course lidi.

But I would expect Superquinn to suffer most as they always went for the top end of goods and service.

Interesting times ahead.................

I always shopped and enjoyed shopping in Superquinn until the takeover. The service and 'fresh' produce fell way below the 'Superquinn' standard that attracted me to the store in the first place. I do not accept the north is responsible and is being used as the scape goat. If the customer service is below standard in any business it will lose out and I'm afraid that is what the main problem is with this store.

I always shopped and enjoyed shopping in Superquinn until the takeover. The service and 'fresh' produce fell way below the 'Superquinn' standard that attracted me to the store in the first place. I do not accept the north is responsible and is being used as the scape goat. If the customer service is below standard in any business it will lose out and I'm afraid that is what the main problem is with this store.
The same can be said of Ballinteer. Once a beacon but has lost it's shine.

Oops! I stopped going there about a year ago. Now that I know it's done up, I will return there. Thanks for the update Complainer.

The owners only wanted it for the Property associated with the Supermarkets. Their plans are falling apart hence why they tried to sell. Their plans for Walkinstown -to re-locate the exisiting Supermarket and build a new one with apartments etc. is also on hold at the moment.Dont be surprised if Walkinstown closes all together.

Sad to hear about more jobs gone, another business in trouble.

I was an infrequent shopper at Superquinn in Kilkenny and was always delighted with the ambience, cleanliness, service, quality of goods on offer (especially the bakery) - it was always a pleasant experience, but on my last visit I was horrified at the run-down state of the place. Feargal, come back, we miss you!

I partly blame Feargal for selling to this shower in the first place. What we really needed was Sainsburys or Asda. If Tesco take it over you can kiss goodbye to a few hundred more jobs.

I partly blame Feargal for selling to this shower in the first place...
I suspect he saw the writing on the wall and "retired" to the Seanad in a timely and dignified manner. I think he and we knew all along they hadn't the same passion for the grocery business.

I would have to agree with previous posters. Since Superquinn was taken over, the stores have become run down. I couldn't believe the state of the Finglas branch when there recently. Floor tiles missing, dirty and all at a premium price!

Last edited:
I have to agree with the sentiments on how the shops are now run and being bought with the view of using the sites for developments.
Part of the Ballinteer store is now like a Santa’s Grotto, with the roof so low you can touch it. They appear to have extended the store by knocking in to a storage area, without spending a few bob on the roof. The building is after all is not much more than a large shed/barn, so it would not have cost the earth to do.
Watching the 6 O'clock new on RTE last night, I though Simon Burke looked like a startled rabbet caught in the headlights of a car for the few seconds he was in shot before he started speaking.
I know, the, umm... 'previous management' is not at all impressed with how the company is currently being run.

My sister works in one of the stores, and there has been disquiet ever since the sale by Fergal a few years ago - the staff were waiting for the hammer to fall at any time, so I'd agree that the "cross-border" factor is a bit of a smokescreen. After all, Tesco have 2 stores in Dundalk, Dunnes have 2 (I think?), Aldi and Lidl also around, and they're not running for cover because of the Newry situation?

Bornagain - There's a tesco in Henry St (downstairs in the Jervis centre), or you could try M&S for fresh bread - the smell of baking from the Henry St store can be wonderful!

It's possibly an oversimplistic view, but if people cross the border to shop in enough numbers, resulting in the closures of businesses here, they will wind up paying out whatever they saved through increased taxes to support the people who lost their jobs.

Oops! I stopped going there about a year ago. Now that I know it's done up, I will return there. Thanks for the update Complainer.
To echo Towger's post, prepare to be dissapointed - very poor [broken link removed] (and check out who commented on my blog entry)!

for example in Feargal’s day there was no direct feedback system like ‘Tell the Boss’. I see every card received and the replies.

rubbish - my mother has shopped in the sutton branch for 20 years, and given plenty of feedback to the store managers in that time.

Feck them cards, "direct feedback system" my ass. Feargal was an exponent of MBWA - management by walking around, as were his store managers.

On my infrequent visits to the Kilkenny store I met Feargal twice, chatting to customers, staff, hanging out at the checkouts, just being Feargal.

Back