Summons Delivery

jprender

Does a summons need to be delivered to that actual person involved ?

I have just received a summons for a speeding offence but it came via my parents.

That is to say that the summons was delivered to my mother at her address and i do not live there.

Does it still count ?

If that is the address you have your car registered at - that is the address they post your summons to.

have you notified the relevant authority that you have moved?

I definitely plan on going to court. I just wondered about the ins and outs of serving a summons.

If only my parents had passed on the info about the original fine it wouldn't have come to this !!

Anyway, I suppose I have no choice but to take my medicine !

I would like to give that explanation but I have read some horror stories of the book being thrown at any person who dares to speak for themselves in court.

It is a shame that a person should be in fear about defending themselves, however petty the incident.

defended myself in court - all bit it rather nervously. Got away with it because I had the evidence to back up my story.

Case of being fined for no tax but I coudn't tax my car as I lost my insurance cert but did have a letter from the tax office saying I tried to tax car but they won't let me.

Judge accepted the innocent mistake and let me off. But I was a bag of nerves stubbling through my story.

Make sure to change your address before your court appearance. I reckon that will be the first question the judge will ask after you give this story.
Might be worth attending an advanced driving course to show how dedicated to road safety you have suddenly become

Yes I will definitely have it changed.

When I bought the car I wanted to get a "D-Reg". As I dont live in Dublin any more, I put my parents address down so as to get one.

I haev just noticed that my driving licence is out of date as well. I presume I should get it renewed before my day in court.

i was stopped a couple of years back at a checkpoint and asked to produce documents within 10 days as i didnt have my licence with me. this i duly did and thought nothing more of it.
about a year later i was walking up the road -a small cul de sac- on my way home from work and was passed by a garda punto going the other way.
when i got home i found a summons stuffed in the letter box.
i can live with the fact that they didnt even ring the bell to attempt to hand deliver it, but the best thing was that the court appearance was supposed to be the very next day at 10 o clock although it was dated 7 months previously. 15 hours notice to appear in court. i went straight over to the local station to verify the fact that i had produced the docs on time to be told that "the old book is filed up in the attic, theres nothing we can do. when asked, who delivered the summons so that i could prove the short notice, he said "i wouldnt know that. couldve been any station in dublin.
on principle, i decided not to take a day off because of the guards gross incompetence and instead, rang the clerk of the court who told me to write a grovelling fax explaining the circumstances and stating how heartbroken i was not to be able to attend in person.
this i did and apparently, it was struck out, that is according to some clerk i spoke to on the phone.
any day now, im sure there will be a swat team outside my house.
what a great country we live in.

Back