suicidal mouse!

geri

I came home from work yesterday to find a large mouse drowned in the toilet! I am in the house nearly 4 years now and have never seen mice in it. I don't know what is freaking me out more - that the mouse came up through the waste pipe of the toilet, or was actually in the house and fell into the toilet. I have one of those electromagnetic rodent repellents in the house, and just changed the frequency two days ago. I'm hoping that the change in frequency drove the mouse mad, and he jumped into the toilet!
I should point out that I have a terrible phobia of mice and am sh***ing it (pardon the pun) when I go to the loo now in case another one comes up! I also knocked on the door of the bathroom this morning to alert any mice that I was on my way in? As I said I have a very bad phobia.
Is it possible that it came up through the pipe? Its a two story house and the toilet was the top floor one.

When you say large mouse are you sure that it's not a rat? I would doubt that it came up through the pipe and it is more likely that it climbed/fell in. If you suspect that you have mice/rats in the house and cannot deal with this yourself then contact one of the professional pest control companies.

well I have to say that I am a bit more freaked out now to think its might have been a you know what, (cant even type the R word) and that it was actually wandering around the house. Someone at work said that it may have been poisoned somewhere else and that the poison makes them very thirsty. The only place that it could get water if it made its way inside was the toilet.
You know, I feel really bothered about my fear of rodents as I am not afraid of many creatures. I even camped in the amazon jungle for a week last year. We had to wash in a hut where we had been looking at tarantulas the night before I was not that bothered. It frustrates me when people who are not afraid of them tell me that the mouse/rat is more afraid of me than I am of them, and think its amusing.
Clubman, thanks tho for your reply. I suppose I feel a bit better knowing that its unlikely that it came up through the pipe as how can you stop that? Think I'll contact rentokill. By the way, whats the term for fear of rats or mice?

geri said:
I came home from work yesterday to find a large mouse drowned in the toilet! I am in the house nearly 4 years now and have never seen mice in it. I don't know what is freaking me out more - that the mouse came up through the waste pipe of the toilet, or was actually in the house and fell into the toilet. I have one of those electromagnetic rodent repellents in the house, and just changed the frequency two days ago. I'm hoping that the change in frequency drove the mouse mad, and he jumped into the toilet!
I should point out that I have a terrible phobia of mice and am sh***ing it (pardon the pun) when I go to the loo now in case another one comes up! I also knocked on the door of the bathroom this morning to alert any mice that I was on my way in? As I said I have a very bad phobia.
Is it possible that it came up through the pipe? Its a two story house and the toilet was the top floor one.

I'd say it's as simple as a mouse falling in - the 4" vertical down pipe from your toilet to the ground has to be at least eight or ten feet long - no rat or mouse is ever going to get up that so relax, get out War and Peace and spend as long as you like on the pan ! :D

Unless we have a new breed of scuba diving rats :D . Whatever you do - stick to War and Peace - don't read Jaws :eek:

what about those of us with downstairs loos........? rat would only have to negotiate u-bend?

bring war and peace in with you too - to bash the little *****'rs as they surface!

Know you don't want to hear this, but where there's one mouse, there's usually more lurking. It is possible that a lone mouse got in through a door left open, so there might have been only the one. But experience of my own past mice infestations would lead me to suggest that you immediately obtain some of the old fashioned wire and wood mouse traps, bait them with something like chocolate sauce and place them around the house. Keep an eye out for mouse droppings, they are small but numerous where the mice frequent and concentrate the traps there. If the traps are set correctly, and you have more than one mouse, you'll probably catch one or two in the next few days.

Vanilla,
At last a voice of reason, albiet not really what I wanted to hear, To the rest of you lot, thanks for keeping me so gruesomely entertained this afternoon - now I'm off home to seek out that old war and peace I have lying around somewhere, booby trap the perimeter with choclate sauce and wire traps, and kidnap someones cat. Wish me luck ! Over and out for now!
Geri.

Back