Student Contribution v registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curamach

Can anyone tell me the difference between student contribution and registration fees in respect of third level courses?

I have two children in college. My understanding is that I have paid university registration fees but is part of that fee a student contribution fee? I've paid about €3,000 per year for each student, although I know we technically have free fees. Can I claim tax back on any of that?

Apologies if the answer is to be found elsewhere. I've searched,and also contacted Revenue, but found it all confusing.

The first 3,000 of fees are disregarded when applying for tax relief, so in effect you only get tax relief on second child.

"The disregards set out above are in respect of a claim, the subject of which may be one or more students. The general effect of this is that claimants who are claiming for more than one student will get full tax relief on the Student Contribution for 2nd and subsequent children in their claim."

Protocol,
Thank you so much for your responses, I really appreciate that. The response I got from Revenue was that I can claim for student contribution but not registration. I just was not clear which was the registration and which was the contribution fee. Maybe it states it on the college receipts.

My other problem is that I lodged the fee payments to both of my children's accounts so that, in effect, they paid the fee and the receipt would be issued in their names. Can I still make a claim though?

My other problem is that I lodged the fee payments to both of my children's accounts so that, in effect, they paid the fee and the receipt would be issued in their names. Can I still make a claim though?
Makes no difference to any claim. response from protocol above still applies. I.e. Disregard the 1st 3k of any claim and balance can be claimed at 20% tax rate. There is a cap see http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html.

We do have fees, they have simple been renamed Student Contribution, and are now 3,000.

There are course fees, aside from the student contribution charge, but the Free Fees Initiative covers several categories of student including nationals of the EU, EEA and the Swiss confederation.

I will be in this situation this year, with a second child starting in college, so this thread is very helpful, thank you. We also have accomodation & living expenses for 2 students - is there any tax relief on these additional expenses when funding 2 or more students?

I will be in this situation this year, with a second child starting in college, so this thread is very helpful, thank you. We also have accomodation & living expenses for 2 students - is there any tax relief on these additional expenses when funding 2 or more students?
No tax relief for supporting students at college, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back