structural engineer to inspect my house - Carlow

J

jake59

I don't know if this is being posted in the right place so feel free to move it. i am basically looking for a structural engineer to inspect my house. I am in the carlow area. Basically we bought our house just over a year ago and have just had problem after problem with it from noisy pipes to stained granite worktops to awful carpentry work to central heating not working and now we have water coming in through the roof. The problem is that the builders seem intent on pawning us off telling us it'll be sorted next week and when next week comes.... The builders seem to be total shams who have no interest in standing over the poor quality of their work. We have decided to go down the legal route and are looking around for a good structural engineer who can thoroughly inspect every aspect of this house. Any recommendations?? thanks.

Re: Structural Engineer

Hello Jake, i have just bought my first home and as it is 2nd hand house i had to have it inspected. I found a guy by the name of John McNamara, he has inspected the house thoroughly, i have a good idea of the regulations myself but im not qualified so couldn't do it myself. His number is 0868665558. Give him a shout, he is very reasonable. €325 for the full survey and energy rating.

Jake, I can also vouch for John McNamara. He done the snaglist on a house we were due to buy. He then took the time to talk through his report with us and explain our options. He was completely impartial, just told us what was wrong and how to fix it. He definitely seemed to know what he was talking about but didnt baffle you with jargon. It ended up a lucky escape for us.
I know he is based in the midlands but he was planning to go down to somewhere in Carlow when he left us that morning so I think he travels where required.
I hope it all works out for you.

Hi I will also vouch for John McNamara. He is currently looking at a place that I am buying at the moment and he really is excellent and extremely good value

hi have a 3yr old house in northwest donegal that has cracks in walls and ceilings in every room in the house.does anyone know of a structural engineer they could recommend to me to do a full survey of house or would john mcnamara possibly travel that far?thanks

mysurvey

We provide a nationwide structural survey service.

Al inspections are completed by Chartered Engineers, we normally are in a position to complete the same in 48 hours.

John McNamara
http://www.mysurvey.ie

For the purposes of AAM posters could you please clarify the qualifications of your staff members etc as it does not appear on your website, or I am I missing something?.

Last edited:

any recommendations for structural engineer to do a survey in donegal?anyone?

Francey Harvey

Based in Letterkenny, he has all the relevant qualifications and does a very professional job.

thanks for the recommendation everyone. I'm going to give John a call tomorrow. It's terrible what builders think they can get away with. I have the local TD making representations for me and hopefully with a full structural report we will have something to go forward with. Again, thanks everyone.

I'd be very careful about mysurvey.ie.....

Just another word of caution about these surveyors. We have just used them and paid in full at the house after the survey was completed. Instead of having the report in 24hrs as promised, we waited a full week for it. Over 3 weeks later and they never sent our solicitor the letter they showed us and told us they were sending 'straight away'. The copy they emailed to me (3 days later) was corrupt and they never replied to my email about it and asking when they were sending it onto solicitor as promised.
A lot of talk about doing but not so much action. We have had to go ahead and progress with contracts so our window of negotiating based on surveyors letter is gone (and so are they!)
Hope I won't get in trouble for posting this but it is just an honest account of what happened.

Avoid this man John did not receive completed survey. Myhome.ie one man band paid in full, can happily provide proof .

Kerry != Carlow. Please start a new thread for Kerry recommendations.

Back