Strange smell in house

What I'm wondering is if in fact the smell in your house turned out to be a dead animal and if so was the smell you were getting like gas?

We had something similar in our old house, called the gas board and they sent someone over straight away, he checked the meter for pressure and we had no leaks, he reckoned it was more than likely a dead mouse somewhere that was causing the smell he said he had seen it loads of times before.

Better to be safe than sorry though, call them in just in case.

Maybe I should have said this already but the complex is not piped for gas. Nevertheless, I did call them out in case the neighbours had a free standing gas heater or something like that but it turned out that the smell was definitely not gas.

Basically I came home one day and thought I got a faint smell in the living room but ignored it. When I got home the next day I though the smell was getting stronger. But by day 3 it almost knocked me out when I opened the door. It took a couple of hours to get over the headache it created.

But since then it has thinned out again and at this stage it's a lingering smell. That's why I think it points to a dead 'something' under the floor boards... plus the fact that the floor boards were up for a few weeks for maintenance work and then resealed.

The smell came about a week after they were resealed. But at the same time I had the house painted so it could be that too.

I have called a maintenance guy out and he thinks that it's either a dead mouse or the paint put on the wall had 'gone off'. But he was really only guessing. I checked the paint tins and they are def. for interior use so it's not that the wrong paint type was used.

Rentokil didn't really have anything to say except to quote me 220 + vat to check it out.

Anyway - I'm thinking of getting the floorboards taken up to check for a dead body now but my question is if that is worth the trouble. Can I just ignore it at this stage as it seems to be disapating (slowly)? Is there any harm in having a dead carcass under the floor boards?

The smell may be there for few months..where exactly the smell coming from? between the ceiling?

No.. I can't pinpoint it really. It's only in the living room and it seems to be coming from over near the window but it's not coming from outside.

At that point in the room there is a socket and a tv and all the ntl stuff and that's it.

The house has been cleaned from top to bottom during the painting so there's def. nothing visibly causing the smell, like discarded food or clothes or something like that.

I guess the best thing is to get the floor lifted again and at least look. I'm kinda happy to go with the mouse under the floor boards as it fits around what has been happening there lately. I've been living there for over a year now and this is the first time I got the smell. None of the neighbours have it.

unfortunate, but thats the best solution...get it out...hope its not the builder who left something there

Back