Stopped by Garda at Check Point - Query re Insurance

I was stopped at an insurance and tax check point earlier today, there were five vechiles in front of me and after a look in their windscreens they were waved on. My turn came and once the Gardai looked in my window at my up to date insurance/tax. Came around to my door and asked to see my licence. I asked him innocently "out of curiousity, why have you asked to see my licence and nobody else's" He quickly responded in a dry manner " because I can".
Classic, really brighten up my day.

Did he purse his lips after answering? He may have just wanted to see if you were ageing well.

Another reason for asking us to produce is that people apply for insurance, receive their windscreen disc and then cancel the policy!

At the checkpoint they appear to be covered but they in fact are not! :(

In order to cancel an insurance policy you need to return your documents to the insurance company, so that wouldn't work.

In order to cancel an insurance policy you need to return your documents to the insurance company, so that wouldn't work.

In order to cancel your policy, you stop paying your installments and keep the disk. It's an age old scam.

"out of curiousity, why have you asked to see my licence and nobody else's" He quickly responded in a dry manner " because I can".

and they are talking about giving these people guns!! hope thats not going to happen any time soon.

...."Step away from the insurance disc, sir.....(click).....STEP AWAY FROM THE INSURANCE DISC, SIR........

and they are talking about giving these people guns!! hope thats not going to happen any time soon.

i would hope that they do eventually get guns and the crooks might take them a bit more seriously. We do like to knock them but they are quite vulnerable to attack at present.

Or a can of pepper spray

[broken link removed]
Beaten to the post.

Yes, starlite, we'll be spraying anything that moves. If it doesn't move, we'll kick the bejaysus out of it til it does move and then spray it. Anything we can do to make life more inconvenient for citizens - that's what makes my day and pays for all those houses I rent out to students. I'm surprised i'm allowed out in public with a pointy pencil sometimes.

My mate was stopped and had no disk up the garda asked him did he have insurance he said he did,he was then asked his name which he gave and where he was from he just gave the area no specifics the garda didnt take any details down no reg no. or anything and said ok thats fine and left it at that. Could that be taken further?

Back