Stone Carpet, how to get rid of one?

pricilla

We got a stone carpet in our kitchen 3 years ago. It was great at first but after about 6 months it just got so dirty looking. We got the cleaner liquid from the company which is useless. We clean it every so often, its a huge 2 man operation with warm water with detergent, scrubbing brushes, vax water hoovers, hoses and re-rinsing, more water etc. It takes hours and still looks filthy.

We just cant get it clean and I am embarrassed by it. I never bring anyone into the kitchen or even into the house because of it. I am mad with myself for spending so much on it and how much we hate it. The company were lovely to deal with at the time but don't care less that I cant clean it now.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, we just spent last night and this morning trying to get it clean and are so sick of it. My husband thinks we are stuck with it now and it can never be taken up, we cant tile over it because the floor will be too high compared to the other rooms, plus the huge cost.

Can it be taken up? Does anyone know how to go about removing one?

Thanks for reading, I would really appreciate any help at all with this. Even if its in 6 months time when you are reading this. All help welcome!

Was the stone carpet properly sealed with an epoxy resin surface sealer?

Did you get a 5 year guarantee with the stone carpet?
If the answer is yes then go back to the suppliers/fitters and ask them to remedy the problem for you.

Do you have underfloor heating below the stone carpet?
If the answer is no then use a Hilti drill and an angled wide spade chisel bit.
You will fly through removing it with this method.

But you will kick up alot of dust so cover over everything that you dont want to get full of dust and debris.

Also might be worthwhile to have a read of this webpage about stone carpets and caring for them.

[broken link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the guarantee? Would there be one? That is the company I got it from.
I have been on to them so many times complaining. I asked them to please recommend someone to professionally clean it for me, and they said it would cost "an arm and a leg" and I said I was on the verge of covering over them or ripping them up and surely this would cost less than that? I left several messages and they never even rang me back. I am so disappointed in them.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. so there is a chance we could get rid of it so? We don't have under floor heating.

Oh my GOD. I just read that page and it said there was a 5 year guarantee. I am getting back on to them tomorrow and I will drive to Dublin if they don't listen to me. I have been complaining for YEARS, no wonder they are fobbing me off. thank you so much.

I don't know about the guarantee? Would there be one? That is the company I got it from.
I have been on to them so many times complaining. I asked them to please recommend someone to professionally clean it for me, and they said it would cost "an arm and a leg" and I said I was on the verge of covering over them or ripping them up and surely this would cost less than that? I left several messages and they never even rang me back. I am so disappointed in them.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. so there is a chance we could get rid of it so? We don't have under floor heating.

Very 1st question and answer on the webpage

Is a Natural Stone Carpet Guaranteed?
Yes! The confidence in our own quality and recognizing the importance of optimum service for all customers of Natural Stone Carpets, is the reason we give a five year guarantee for our product. The increase of the guarantee period of three to five years is thanks to the continuing optimization of quality control within Natural Stone Carpets.

Oh my GOD. I just read that page and it said there was a 5 year guarantee. I am getting back on to them tomorrow and I will drive to Dublin if they don't listen to me. I have been complaining for YEARS, no wonder they are fobbing me off. thank you so much.

Get the name of the person that you speak to in their showroom or shop.

Make a written note of the persons name,what they say to you and the time of day that you spoke to them.
Also wise to have a 2nd person there with you as a witness to the conversation/meeting.

Hope you get a good outcome tomorrow.:)

I'm wondering did you get sorted? Did they clean the carpet for you and how did they do it?

Back