Starting a new job in Dublin City Centre any advice on travel times into the city

A

armstrbr

Moving back to Ireland next month to start a new job in Dublin (not familar with the city ) Office is right in the city centre, looking for advise on where the best locations are for commuting. Schools etc.. are of importance.

What are your requirements? House? Apartment? Country? Suburban? What type of schools? How old are the children? Will you want to use public transport or do you have to drive? Your question is pretty broad!

Lauren,

Looking for semi-detached/detached preferably country/ suburban. I'd like to keep the commute to under 1 hour by car/train or a combination of both . Kids are young 5 and 2. Spent the last few years living in cities London and Madrid so I'm looking for space for the family and myself. I have heard that commuting into/out of Dublin can be a nightmare but willing to put up with it for a decent place.

Thanks

Dublin (and the surrounding commuter towns) is a very big place.

There are many variables which you will need to take into account.

Re driving:
Will you have car parking in the office?
What time will you need to be at work for?
What time will you leave work at?
An hour in rush hour traffic in Dublin can see you taking 1 hr to drive 5-10 miles...depending on the area you live and where exactly you work.

Re commuting by train:
Again this limits your options as we don't exactly have the best transport system. Somewhere along the coast line would be your best bet if commuting by train is your preferred option and you want to live in Dublin.

Do you want to live in the countyside but within a short distance of a town or in a more surburban area?
Do you want to live by the sea?
What facilites, apart from schools, do you require in the area.

I suggest you have a look at www.myhome.ie . Use the search function there to input your required house type, max price, number of bedrooms etc and that should throw up some options for you....something to get started with.

Obviously it depends on your attitude but you could consider a motorbike or scooter as an alternative - I did about two years ago when my wife went on maternity leave and it has changed our/my lives to the better.

Granted there is a risk element but the risk is much less than cycling around the city centre as long as you are traffic aware (you have loads of gear on to protect you).

I live in Swords and used to bus it while herself was on maternity leave (average round trip = 3 hours). These days it takes 30 minutes (max 35) each way into Stephens Green.

It's another option to look at.

You could consider Donabate, its by the seaside on the North of the City, The train to dublin city centre takes about 25 - 30 minutes (however the trains are quite full at peak time, standing room only). Its a short drive to Dublin Airport and is close to the M1 motorway (the main Dublin - Belfast route)

anyone have estimated driving time from kilmainham to swords at peak hours? currently lucky enough to have a very comfortable 15/20min commute from phibsboro to SCR but new house & job could change all that!

Going north on the M50 doesn't look too bad in the morning (if that's the preferred route?), but I haven't that much first hand experience to be honest.

With €500k to spend why not consider Skerries? Commute by train is crowded at present but set to improve (or so I am told).

Could look at maynooth. Good train, 40mins to city, lots of family sized housing near station (walking distance) within your budget. Good public schools with places.

I'd suggest that you look at Greystones and Bray. You should get a 3-4 bed semi with that budget, especially in Bray. Its on the DART line and is about 40-45mins to City Centre. You can buy a taxsaver ticket through your employer which means it is taken out of your salary before its taxed, saving you up to 48% of the cost.

Donabate is another option (to the north) but its less developed with limited amenities, although its getting better.

My advice is to avoid the west, although if Adamstown fulfills its tranportation obligations then it may be worth a look. Don't consider too much of what has been promised in 'Transport 21', its too far off at this stage.

Jaydee said:
You can buy a taxsaver ticket through your employer which means it is taken out of your salary before its taxed, saving you up to 48% of the cost.

I don't think all employers offer this option?

Jaydee said:
if your employer doesnt you can get direct from dublin bus or irish rail...

Are you sure?

From the [broken link removed]

Q. Can I buy a monthly or annual ticket and then claim the tax back from the Revenue Commissioners?
A. No, all TaxSaver monthly and annual tickets must be purchased by the company on behalf of the employee as per Revenue guidelines.

If you have managed to do it with out going through the company let us know (some discussion in this thread), as there are probably a lot of people who could benefit.

Around Carpenterstown Road D15 - you'll get a good 4 bed for that money. New primary and a secondary school in walking distance, as is Coolmine train station - 25 mins to Pearse Station, or 30 mins by bike through Phoenix park.

Back