Spreadsheet (or software) to manage ETF returns?

leo838

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone using this forum has a good spreadsheet that they would be willing to share (or can recommend some program) that they use to manage ETF returns for tax purposes? Ideally it would track the 8 yr deemed disposal date, currency conversion, retrieve fund prices automatically etc..

Hoping to take some of the burden off tax compliance!

Many thanks,

Leo

Hi Leo,

I just went through the process of calculating this.
Initially I was a bit confused with how to calculate it, but from what I've read you need to treat each investment separately and calculate capital gains on that single buy 8 years later, then add all those capital gains for the year up (using that years exit tax rate), and pay is the subsequent year.

I don't think you can offset exit tax loses (if I'm wrong on this let me know).

I find Excel is the best tool for doing these calculations as you can play around with your own scenarios as needed.
I usually add a few notes to the top for reference as I'm thinking through the scenarios.
I also like to include lots of meta data about the fund so that 8 years down the line I have everything I need.

I'd advise going for an accumulating ETF as if you do a distributing one you'll need to add in the tax on the dividends (dividends from accumulating funds are not taxed in Ireland).

I don't seem to be able to attach any files to this post, otherwise I'd my Excel file with you.

FireDuck

Thanks FireDuck.
That's a great point regarding the accumulating versus distributing ETFs - I had been looking at the funds available via degiro. Would anyone know how to easily identify the subset of these which accumulate?

Thanks FireDuck.
That's a great point regarding the accumulating versus distributing ETFs - I had been looking at the funds available via degiro. Would anyone know how to easily identify the subset of these which accumulate?

I usually start with this list:

And then paste the ISIN into JustETF:

Click into the ETF and you'll see the "Distribution policy" which will be either accumulating or distributing.
Irish residents should nearly always opt for accumulating due tot he tax benefits.
Also it's nice to have it auto reinvested for the snowballing effect with compound interest over the years.

Back