sports car BMW Z3

Re: sports car

Mazda MX-5 is a great car - family member bought from Des Cullen Cars (1996 reg and still going strong). He is a great guy - tell him what you're after and he'll source it for you (request a hard top). Great after sales, can't recommend them highly enough.

Located at Suite 36, The Mall, Beacon Court, Sandyford.

[broken link removed]

Er...do you happen to have an affiliation with Des Cullen?

I wouldn't advise anyone to go and source a car. There's loads of MX-5's out there. Look around and look in the UK as well. You'll find what you're looking for. You'll probably get more bang for your buck buying privately. Very reliable cars so warranty not all that important from a garage in my opinion.

I have a Z3 and love it! Can't understand people calling it a girls' car when it looks so aggressive, an anyway, James Bond had one!!! I say go for it, get the z3.

By the way if anyone knows where to go to buy a hardtop or replacement softtop I'd appreciate the info.

Er...do you happen to have an affiliation with Des Cullen?

I wouldn't advise anyone to go and source a car. There's loads of MX-5's out there. Look around and look in the UK as well. You'll find what you're looking for. You'll probably get more bang for your buck buying privately. Very reliable cars so warranty not all that important from a garage in my opinion.

No affiliation - just a satisfied customer who got what we wanted with no hassle and excellent after sales service! Have the car 6 years now and still going strong. Depends on yourself whether you want to put in the hours searching yourself or get someone else to do it for you and pay the cost - horses for courses and all that.

At the end of the day we were happy with the transaction.

I used to drive an MX5 (and yes, it was Mrs Purple's car). I now drive an A4 soft top and had a TT. The MX5 is by far the most fun car I have ever driven.
I also agree with most of the above posters that the Z3 is not as good and given that it's very bad value for money. The MGF should not be considered. If they offer one free with the MX5 don't take it.

Depends on yourself whether you want to put in the hours searching yourself or get someone else to do it for you and pay the cost - horses for courses and all that.

In general getting a garage to source a car for you is not a good idea.

To the OP....I'd advise putting in those precious hours searching and find the best car that's available right now...as opposed to asking a garage to get one.

Btw...When did James Bond ever drive a Z3?

In GoldenEye.

If you want a BMW soft-top, get a 3.0 Z4 :)

Well...there's been some shabby Bond movies made anyway ;)

Doesn't detract from it being not a great car. For that matter neither is the Z4...dreadful ride quality. Although if you went for the 3 litre at least you'd get some decent poke and I do admit they look the business. Z3 also suffers now from looking very old hat.

I have a Z3 and love it! Can't understand people calling it a girls' car when it looks so aggressive, an anyway, James Bond had one!!! I say go for it, get the z3. ...

Generally its not rated highly as a sports car, because "the rear semi-trailing arm suspension from the E30 was used rather than the more sophisticated multilink suspension from the E36." which means it doesn't handle as well as other sports cars. That said most people won't even appreciate the difference the suspension makes. Most people aren't that mad about the styling. Not crazy about them myself.

Des Cullen's cars are shockingly overpriced, even the F430's, Conti GT's and those minging Project Kahn 'neuvo riche mobiles' carry absolutely huge premiums over list price. He had an '05 SAAB 9-3 2.0T convertible there for something ridiculous like 47k! He doesn't even sell his cars in a showrooms, he sells them out of an underground car park in Beacon Court. If I was parting with a couple of hundred grand I would expect a huge glass showrooms along the lines of Joe Duffy's.

OK, so i've decided to get a mx-5. I've sourced one I like the sound of on the net and plan to take a look at and test drive in a couple of days. What should I be looking out for on a 10 year old car with 50,ooo miles on clock(cam belt, water pumps etc)?

OK, so i've decided to get a mx-5. I've sourced one I like the sound of on the net and plan to take a look at and test drive in a couple of days. What should I be looking out for on a 10 year old car with 50,ooo miles on clock(cam belt, water pumps etc)?

Nice one! They are an excellent excellent car. You would be only buying a Z3 for the badge anyway...

still looking for advice on a 10 year old mx5 with 50000 miles on the clock. any potential problems with this type of car?

The MX5 is one of the most reliable cars you will ever buy. The mileage seems very low for a 10 year old car. Can you get the name of the last owner from the log book and see what the mileage was when they sold it?

Back