Spending winter 6 months overseas in early retirement

Like I said earlier, the Brits take to long off season renting like we take to pub-life. Nobody knows whether several months abroad would suit us or not especially with Christmas, New Year, Family occasions etc where we can be set in our ways.

I would recommend trying off season abroad initially for no more than eight weeks. Perhaps the following year this can be extended?

Beware of renting in some countries regardless of their amounts of winter sunshine. The last thing you want is to get caught up in some kind of revolution - I kid you not. When you have decided on wherever to rent ask questions and ensure there are no hidden extras e.g water charges, community charges etc. You will have to pay for electricity or gas though.

I'll confess a mistake I made years ago. We telephoned a knock-down price apartment in southern France. When we arrived we found it was unfrunished. Blush! Blush! in all my questions, I never asked whether the place was furnished.

South costa blanca because health wise it is one of the healthiest places to live due a micro climate because of the salt lakes. Winters are very mild, lovely blue flag beaches. Eating out is cheaper than Ireland but unfortunately groceries etc are cheaper here in Ireland than Spain but you can buy local produce form markets. Flight times 2 hrs 20 mins and you have a choice of 2 airports alicante and murcia.

I have semi retired to costs del sol. V cheap n great weather. Go nearest to Gibraltar, say estepona and cheaper again. Advice is do long GRM rent and if you pay 6 months up front you can get great deals. Two bed apt with gym and pools should be no more than 400 PCM. We love it and use it as a base to explore the rest of Spain. We drove an old banger out and use that as transport in Spain.

I am just wondering if anyone else has some ideas as to where is the best place to spend the month of January abroad, preferably within Europe? The thoughts of facing a long January in Ireland is depressing.
Which is the prettiest of the Canary islands with old town, long flat promenade, good restaurants and supermarkets when you get tired eating out, not to many tattoo's football shirts about?

We found that the time flew and it was great that our daughters and son could visit from time to time. One other thing you have to decide whether you want to bring your car or not. The drive is two days each way and is a trying operation. The up side is that a car is handy for long-stay. But, if you dont need a car, then so much the better.

There are companies that will transport you car down to Spain for you, competitive against ferry and driving it yourself.........

Costa Del Sol, with the fast modern light train going from Malaga Airport to Fuengirola and reasonable priced flights into Malaga

Last edited:
I am just wondering if anyone else has some ideas as to where is the best place to spend the month of January abroad, preferably within Europe? The thoughts of facing a long January in Ireland is depressing.
Which is the prettiest of the Canary islands with old town, long flat promenade, good restaurants and supermarkets when you get tired eating out, not to many tattoo's football shirts about?

My friend has retired to the Algarve and says that in January, it stays about 20c. Lots of restaurants and supermarkets for the home cooking. Alternatively, my cousin has retired and settled in Thailand, very cheap to live and eat, plays golf cheaply etc. Bit far away but he has no ties in this part of the world now.

The Algarve is my favourite for winter holidays. Usually 15 to 20 degrees, and I've always had blazing sunshine though I believe you can be unlucky with rain. Have done apartments, villas and hotel. For a reasonable price try staying in Vilamoura -- nice marina for walking, plenty of restaurants. If you have money to burn, the Hotel Quinta do Lago is one of my favourite places on earth (but a bit out of the way for getting to anywhere else if you're not driving, even though it's closer to Faro than Vilamoura is).

Ive been reading this thread with interest for some time and would like to do similar.

We went on a 3 month cruise once and loved it. You might try that OP. The fare was about €2500 each and included food, entertainment etc. Everything but alcohol, but we arent drinkers anyway.

The trips when you reach the ports can all be done cheaply, you will get very good at doing them yourself and not having to pay the exorbitant prices the cruise lines charge.

But we kind of fancy the idea on spending 6 months in the South of France or the Canaries too, like the OP.

One thing that would be very useful when suggesting places is the cost of renting somewhere suitable for the 6 winter months.

ie How much would it cost me to rent a nice 2 bed house or apartment in the Canaries, Malaga, Algarve or Nice for example.

Ball park figure will do me. eg if someone rented a 2 bed apartment then could they give the figure for that. Similarly if someone rented a 3 bed villa they would be able to provide the figure for that.

Id would love to see those figures. They would e very useful for my planning.

Something like this is very useful

eastofmalaga.net/2013/08/23/cost-of-living-in-spain-august-2013/

We went on a 3 month cruise once and loved

Where & When?

Also, I am also, in the mechanics and costs of long term stays in the sun.

Going on a week fact-finding mission in September to Costa Del Sol.

Started in Venice and went all around the Med for 3 months. Ended up in Barcelona. This was 3 summers ago. The only port that we repeated was Santorini (twice) and Venice(twice, the ship stayed there for 2 nights and days both times, so it was like a Venice hotel really). It was fantastic.

The other one we did was in the winter. It started in Florida and went around the Caribbean for 2.5 months. There was a hurricane heading for one of our destinations but the ship just went far away from the hurricanes path, to another destination.

Both were less than €3000 each.

Hi if you have any interest in the Algarve, I can give lots of advice , food prices , rentals , etc . We bought in Albufeira and visit 3,4 times a year , low season , as I rent summer weeks , to keep the bank happy . Way cheaper to live there than Ireland , DUblin . Lots of high end villas available for Winter months , including mine . 1 bed = 300/400 pm
2 bed= 500/600 pm and
3 bed = 700/800 pm (mine) All utilities would be included in the prices , and you would be getting good quality home in a good location , close to beaches , cliff walks , shops, bars etc . You can get cheaper and you can go very high end . Those prices are aprox . for , tv , internet , air con/ heating all included . With a 3 bed you can have family over for xmass , New Year ,
A 3 course meal , good quality food is 12e pp . Fresh fish bought at the local market , on the BbQ superb .A decent bottle of wine 3e , coffee ,70c , a beer 90c If you are 3 or 4 eating out , you will get the wine free or 2/ 3 e per litre. Golf is the only thing expensive -- same as Ireland prices .

Back