Spending winter 6 months overseas in early retirement

Climate wise for Thailand, Nov to Feb is probably just about right. Hot but not ridiculously so and much less humid.

Either side of that maybe not so lucky - starts to get very hot and humid quite soon after Feb and monsoon between Summer and Nov.

very little in this link most sections blank or with little info

Oh dear. First of all, you're welcome.

I saw one or two blank sections; Morocco was just meant as a suggestion as it met all your requirements per first post.
I've been to Morocco, am a woman and had no problems.
I have good friends who live in some of the larger cities and enjoy a very healthy social life.

Oh dear. First of all, you're welcome.

I saw one or two blank sections;.

Re link No need to be sarcastic I was simply trying to avoid anyone else wasting their time on the link

Re link No need to be sarcastic I was simply trying to avoid anyone else wasting their time on the link

Neither is there any need to be rude and abrupt towards someone who makes a genuine suggestion.

I would certainly miss my children and grandchild if I were to go abroad for 6 months. Some people might not. If I were able to rent a two bedroomed apartment and then invite others out for a few days with no charge for accommodation then it might work. But then renting renting a two bed would cost considerably more than renting a one bed.
I would also need to have access to email and internet. I know in Portugal that there are internet shops run by the government that offer a service free of charge.
I still think that the south of Spain with good transport options are what I would need.

Interesting suggestion so just to update criteris

winter climate warmer than ireland but not too warm
cost of living cheaper than ireland
english widely spoken or french speaking as I am pretty fluent
PLUS we are very fit so " hills" are not a problem
PLUS The price of cigarettes is irrelevant to us as we dont smoke
PLUs easy to integrate into ex pat community if non golf player!- *
PLUS not interested in north africa or middle east
&suggestions on how to do this very welcome

Any sugestions/ first hand experience of pros and cons of their chosen destination if they have done this

Where do you think you would like to stay?
What research have you done.?
You are certainly milking this thread.

It certainly is an interesting thread as it does give insights into places that people experienced for longer periods, and it has revealed views and opinions that can help one make a decision.

However, regarding waterwater's "milking" expression, I think what was meant was:-

After five pages of a thread with many useful suggestions over a few weeks one should by now commence drawing to a conclusion or at least a short-list of two or three places.
By advising us of your choice of "finalists" we could better help you narrow it down.

But just basically repeating twice with some small refinement the same question as in your OP (in bold lettering to boot) may weary the reader and not elicit the response you desire.

I think that was meant by the word "milking".

ok oldnick thanks
i woud say
1 south of france like nice / menton etc.
2 ignoring the language issue malaga or marbella area
Been to both but never spent longer than a week or 2

3 somewhere less obvious like malaysia( tax advantage i believe but probbaly too hot) /thailand ( friendly people ) but where never been to either (yet )

4 perhaps multi long stay holdiays of 2/3 months exploring doing language classes

Because of 3 and 4 i was leaving it open to get any "left" field ideas

It certainly is an interesting thread as it does give insights into places that people experienced for longer periods, and it has revealed views and opinions that can help one make a decision.

However, regarding waterwater's "milking" expression, I think what was meant was:-

After five pages of a thread with many useful suggestions over a few weeks one should by now commence drawing to a conclusion or at least a short-list of two or three places.
By advising us of your choice of "finalists" we could better help you narrow it down.

But just basically repeating twice with some small refinement the same question as in your OP (in bold lettering to boot) may weary the reader
and not elicit the response you desire.

I think that was meant by the word "milking".

Well said oldnick...great common sense post. Hope mtk you find your ideal location. Have a wonderful happy and healthy retirement.

I certainly enjoyed a winter break in Marbella. A lovely clean location, plenty of police about and a good buzz during the off season. There were a choice of supermarkets to choose from, places where you could get the latest DVD's, menu del Dia, a good promenade, shopping and great weather. A bus will take you to and from the airport and you have the option of heading along the coast or inland using local transport. Being a Euro currency destination also helps.

I can't help thinking that MTk means well. However, there is a hint that he is going along the lines of that television series where a man and his wife (from Wales) were going to retire to Spain and set up a snail farm. Each week of their search was filmed and towards the end of each programme the husband seemed to find the ideal location. But, inevitably there was always a reason to shun the property.

The search to purchase a snail farm went on and on. A snail farm was never going to be bought, of course. Eventually, the makers of the series imposed voice-overs in the old Movietone News genre to make the series more saleable and palatable.

I'm not saying that this is the case with MTK, but to somebody looking in might get that impression.

But, a huge decision is to be made which will account for an important six months of somebody's life. Let me suggest that the prospect visit just one location for say a month with the option of increasing the length of stay if desired!

+ 1 with Lepper other than 6 months isn't really that long with regard to spending time in a warmer climate, particularly in a semi retired capacity, in a close by destination in Europe.

Why not try Marbella or some other part of the Costa del Sol. Or for that matter France or Portugal etc. See how you get on. Rent a property for that period or even on a 3 monthly basis which gives you an opt out. It will take at least 3 month to make any kind of decision anyway as you will probably have days when you love the place and possibly days when you wonder why you ever came. Noisy neighbours, barking dogs, noisy pubs and so on can be found almost anywhere. That is the beauty of renting, you can leave it behind you with retative ease should you want to. You might even decide to explore several locations over a period of a few years before you find your "home form home".

There are ex pat forums in a lot of areas, just google "ex pat forum" with a particular area and you will get unlimited advice and possibly make contacts before you ever leave Ireland.

Good luck with it, I hope to do the same myself some day:)

It would seem, MTK, that most people are pushing towards Fr Riviera and (especially) Costa del Sol and maybe also Canaries.
If I had the money I'd probably stay in Riviera -more so in Menton than Nice. Besides being a very civilised and aesthetically pleasing town it is so close and cheap to get to many other places along the coast - whether by bus or rail and whether east to Italy or west to Monaco, Nice ,Cannes etc.
Nice is grteat city -but you may get a more neighbourly feel in Menton with other retired Brit/irish ex-pats. Anyway Nice is only 45 mins away.
Menton is supposed to be 1-2 c warmer in Winter than nearby Nice due its own micro-climate .
So, the Riviera would be very nice - you or he speaks good French and you are so close to great sightseeing. BUT it's not that cheap to rent and can be chilly Dec-March. (cheaper just across the border in italy -but amazingly few people speak good French. And less english-speaking facilities/communities)

C.de Sol is cheaper and warmer with better ex-pat facilities than Riviera (Brit/irish supermarket products, anglophone facilities -clubs, newspapers banks etc).
It doesnt have to be Marbella or Malaga city ( interesting article on Malaga city in yesterdays I.Times travel supp). It can be in any resort from Estepona to Mojacar, where you get great Winter rates and english speaking communities.

As per advice above - why not check both Fr. riveira and C del sol now - why not do that now ?

I'm sticking to those two places, even though Canarian fans will douibtless have quite justifiable arguments in favour of those warmer lovely islands. I'm too restless to stay on an island and I want daily cheaper connections to Ireland but I 'd never knock Canary choice.

Oldnick
since yesterday an ex-travel agent.

Yes Nick, Best of Luck in your retirement - Won't be long for myself either to retire.

Regards

Lep

thanks guys -now all i have to do is decide where to go !

Maybe you could start a thread and people could give you ideas ;) . Happy retirement Nick.

My own preference would be Lanzarote or Fuerteventura. Nice mild winters, very affordable lettings and easy to get back home if needed. The Costa del Sol would be cheaper but weather less dependable. A night class in Spanish beforehand ( handy but not really necessary given that English widely spoken ) and you're sorted.

Back