Specsavers. Is there a problem with them or PRSI?

TrundleAlong

Over two weeks ago I called in to Specsavers for my two yearly free eye test.

When I entered the branch I was told that I could not have a free eye test because they were having a problem with their PRSI system, I would have to pay.

I have been having free eye tests (paid for by PRSI) at Specsavers for a number of years now. I created a bit of commotion and on hearing this the manager intervened and said of course I could have my free eye test.

After the test I was then directed to the team outside who are basically only there to cross sell their more expensive products.

I opted to have my free prescription PRSI glasses for reading. However it was then suggested that I also get a prescription for distance glasses even though I have good distance vision. I might need them for driving at night.....my eye has a stigma.....rugby ball shaped eyeball.....

Then because they were having a problem with their PRSI system, (I was told that this had been going on for about 5 days), it would take two weeks before my glasses would be ready.

Having a conversation about this afterward with my wife she mentioned that a friend of hers was given the same story in another Dublin Southside branch six weeks previously.

Over two weeks now and no contact from Specsavers about my PRSI glasses.

Is anyone else having similar problems and if so, is it a Specsavers problem or a PRSI problem?

It sounds like Specsavers don't currently have online access to check your eligibility under the treatment benefit scheme. This would be an issue on their side rather than on the Department's side (if the issue was more widespread, I'm sure it would have been reported somewhere).

Specsavers may have had to revert to paper applications for some reason, hence the delay.

I was in Specsavers last week and whilst the prsi system was working, I was asked to sign a blank prsi form.

I spent a little while reading it and ticked off the two boxes and she was a little miffed.

Just realised I did not cross out any other options.

An amount off was applied (about €70) to the test and spectacles

It certainly was strange compared to previous visits.

I was in Specsavers last week and whilst the prsi system was working, I was asked to sign a blank prsi form.
Do the Dept. of Social Welfare ever send out a follow up request to the customer and ask them what service they actually received?

Back