Solicitor's fees when Buyer pulls out

mousey

We had previously sold our apartment in Mar and recently went to move the deal on as we found a new property for ourselves. Unfortunately for us our buyers have pulled out after 3 months. Our solicitor has subsequently sent us a bill but stated they would do us a deal but stated that it should be half the price agreed. Can we be charged for this? The house is currently still on the market and we have a deposit on another house. We have no plans to take it off the market or retract our deposit on the other house.

as far as i know, your solicitor would still have done work when it sold int he first place, contracts, getting the deeds etc... they should charge you but not for the full amount originally quoted...

This is the thing there stating they will charge us a reduced rate but we are still selling so essentially will I be billed twice the original price agreed (sale and purchase)and the additional price for the sale falling through. The deeds will still be needed as we are still selling and I may also be wrong on this but are contracts not a standard form and the names are manually input?

Contracts would probably stay relatively the same but all the other documents would also need to have names changed.
A considerable amount of work was probably done on the sale as it was probably just ready to close from reading your message. You could negotiate with the solicitors and say that you still want to employ their services if the house does sell in the future and perhaps you could come to some arrangement. I do know of some solicitors not charging if a sale falls through and if you continue to use them if your house is still on the market but it would depend on how far the original sale of your house had progressed and if pre-contract queries, Contracts, Requisitions on Title etc. had been prepared/exchanged.
Sorry your house sale fell through - bummer to say the least.

Thanks for that JDC and Apple think I'll have to have a chat with solicitor and see what stage she was at. Turns out now we may loose other property :(

Got hit myself with the same situation as OP....Went to buy a house,fell through,went to sell mine but another house we wanted fell through. In end stayed put and got a bill of 3K for solictors work on three houses.....Ouch!

Back