solicitors fees , pi matter

messedaround

Just wonder if anyone can help me understand solicitor fees in a pi matter , it's not going to court , and solicitor is looking for excess 5k , this seems very very high to me but I've never been here before , don't have bill yet just verbally was told 5k plus .. I've paid for everything in advance medical reports stamp duty , plus about 400 at their requests for covering costs , any advice much appreciated

they won't open a file for less!
What size is the settlement and what size is the firm and what level is the solicitor.
The big 4 , for partner level, charge in excess of 600 plus VAT per hour

You can argue it with the taxing master but the additional cost will fall to you if he finds against you so its really a question of how much is left after his fees.

If there is a good bit then just pay and move on and live again [and bring us all out to Lillies]

The solicitor works for himself , offer I'm being told to accept is under 20k , communication with him was horrendous , all of a sudden I'm being told to accept an offer that I really don't want to , as he said too risky for court as I'll be liable for all his fees plus theirs (it was suppose to be no win no fee) very confused and feel backed into a corner , any advice would be so gratefully appreciated

• As fas as i know (as layman ) no win no fee is long gone
  • If it goes to court costs generally follow the judgement
ie you win they pay yours
you lose you pay theirs ( and other side will pursue you if you have assets e.g. house_
So its not without its risks​

• In a recent issue I personally found dealing with my own solicitor very stressful ( not PI case) so i can empathise . i think it is the lack of control . you are at their mercy to a certain extent . It should not be like that!

If you have a 'dead cert' case, then solicitor will probably do it on a no foal no fee basis. If there is any question as to success, then you will have to pay.

Just wonder if anyone can help me understand solicitor fees in a pi matter , it's not going to court , and solicitor is looking for excess 5k , this seems very very high to me but I've never been here before , don't have bill yet just verbally was told 5k plus .. I've paid for everything in advance medical reports stamp duty , plus about 400 at their requests for covering costs , any advice much appreciated

Sounds high for a case less than €20K. A fair fee depends on the complexity of the case and the amount of work done.

You say that the case is not going to court. Was liability disputed and then conceded by the defendants ? If so, your solicitor should be recovering his costs and outlays from the defendants / their insurers on a party and party basis. If so, you might find yourself "balance billed" for solicitor and client costs. Also, if this situation applies, be careful that your solicitor does not "double bill" i.e. get the bill paid by the defendants and then stick the same bill on to the client. I know that this can happen as I had direct experience of it.

Party and party costs are those necessarily and directly incurred in presenting a case. Solicitor and client items are usually costs incurred over and above the party and party costs.

If this was a straight assessment via the PIAB then those costs are not recoverable from them but from you.

Finally, at the time of retaining your solicitor, he should have given you a letter indicating the likely estimated costs of the work that you instructed him to do for you. A bill from a solicitor is not the required estimate !!!

Back