Solicitors Fees for House Purchase

Barryo

I'm new to this forum and just wanted a bit of advice about solicitors fees for conveyancing as this is the first property I have bought. I just got the final statement from the solicitor and it shows all the registration fees and outlays etc but the one I'm wondering about is the solicitor fee for which I got two separate Bills of Costs. One relates to the mortgage and one relates to the purchase. The fee on the Mortgage is €800 and the fee on the purchase is €950. Is this normal to have two separate fees and if so is this a reasonable charge? Any searches on google bring up figures of around €1200 for solicitors fees but I dont know if these are for purchase and mortgage or just purchase. It seems high to me but as I said I don't have any experience with this. The purchase price was €150k.
Thanks.

Most people agree a fee before buy they house ,between 1000-1500 euro
Theres no standard fee .there s vat to be paid .20 per cent approx.
i don,t know what the fee on the mortgage means ?
You go to a bank ,get a loan, you pay a solicitor to process all the documents needed to complete the house purchase ,
he checks there are no bills or debts outstanding ,eg esb,gas bill on the house you are buying .
you should not need a solicitor to get a loan as its based on your savings and annual income and credit status.

I'm new to this forum and just wanted a bit of advice about solicitors fees for conveyancing as this is the first property I have bought. I just got the final statement from the solicitor and it shows all the registration fees and outlays etc but the one I'm wondering about is the solicitor fee for which I got two separate Bills of Costs. One relates to the mortgage and one relates to the purchase. The fee on the Mortgage is €800 and the fee on the purchase is €950. Is this normal to have two separate fees and if so is this a reasonable charge? Any searches on google bring up figures of around €1200 for solicitors fees but I dont know if these are for purchase and mortgage or just purchase. It seems high to me but as I said I don't have any experience with this. The purchase price was €150k.
Thanks.

Most Solicitors quote 1% +VAT plus outlays. In my experience most will do it for 1% plus outlay at most. Always agree a figure before proceeding.
In your case 150k @ 1%= 1500 euro plus outlays. Good luck.

and many solicitors charge 1000-1500 , plus vat.
as the minister said shop around ,agree a fee before choosing the solicitor or an estate agent
some estate agents charge 1 or 1.5 per cent to sell a house.

Last edited:
The key thing to compare is the solicitor's professional fee. VAT of 23% is added to this, and then there are the outlays, which are charges that the solicitor has to pass on to their clients. These outlays should not vary from one solicitor to the next, and would typically come to around €1,000. The poster who mentioned 1% is way off the mark. This used to be the case years ago, but is almost unheard of nowadays. That would suggest that solicitors would be charging a professional fee of €4,000 (plus VAT & outlays) for a house costing €400,000. thelad77 is much closer to the average cost with his figures of €1,000 to €1,500 plus VAT, but don't forget the outlays. The final bill will therefore typically be around €2,000 (if you're doing extremely well) to €2,500 or a little more.

The standard conveyance fee I pay over the last 5 years works out at .5% down from 1% during the Celtic tiger.
However solicitors tend to have a minimum fee for transactions at the lower end of the scale which appears to be around 1000 euro.
Given current banking practice your solicitor may have had to spend extra time complying with banking bureaucracy.
If you did not agree a fee upfront I would ask for a reduction and hope for the best.
All figures above are subject to Vat @23%

Back